Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi Everyone!

No matter what holiday you celebrate when you do you start decorating?

Do you purchase something new each year?

Do you decorate both outside and inside?

Post photos if you have them from previous years.

Tell us all about it below!

|The CafeMom Admin Team

by on Oct. 15, 2009 at 1:38 PM
Replies (21-30):
MIMI_3
by on Oct. 18, 2009 at 12:10 AM

We get a live tree every year so we typically wait until about 2 weeks before xmas to get it.  I've had most of my ornaments for a really long time, but I do get a few new ones occassionally...especially when we have a new grandchild :)

I like to decorate the fireplace mantel with fresh garland and hang the stockings from antique stocking holders that are made of cast iron.  We don't do alot to the outside. Just a few strings of lights on the big oak tree in front.

After the holidays are over (before New Years) we take down the tree and take it to the city hall and they mulch it and we go back a week later and get mulch.

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Oct. 18, 2009 at 2:05 AM

We actually start the Christmas season on Thanksgiving day by serving dinner on the Christmas china. Then the next day the tree goes up. We have decorated a lot less since all the kids and grandkids are pretty much grown, but now we have a three year old living with us so we'll be doing more. We have several collections. I have a Santa collection, dh has nutcrackers, and for years we collected Dept 56 houses. We have over 100 houses, and nowhere to display them since we downsized. We don't do much outside, we have a light machine that projects images of falliing snow on the house(we live in Tennessee and don't get much real snow.) Wreaths on the door and windows is about it. I'll probably start getting snowmen now because the 3y/o likes them.

Christmas has always been my favorite holiday, but it hasn't been the same without children, so we're really looking forward to this one.wreath

CafeMom Tickers
kristydillon
by on Oct. 19, 2009 at 1:16 AM

We start decorating for Christmas as soon as we take down Halloween- so usually Nov 1st

I usually only buy more decorations after Christmas, unless I REALLY love something and can justify it to hubby since I have more than 50 boxes of decorations.

I decorate both inside and out. All the rooms on the main floor gets decorated and sometimes so does the basement.

My daughter's trees in her roomThe door decoration I made for her room- sorry it wouldn't rotate

dining room

kitchen

the garden

the swing set during the day

This doesn't really do the lights justice but is the one that showed most of last year's lights.

eammarx
by on Oct. 19, 2009 at 10:33 AM

I live in an apartment so I do not decorate too much. I can really envision how I'd decorate if I owned a house LOL but I do a little decorations for Halloween with candles and some candle "houses". For Christmas I decorate everything. I get plastic flowers from Michaels with glitter, lots of garland to put on the fireplace mantle and bar. I have all kinds of knick knacks for Christmas. I want to get one of those Christmas Towns that light up, play music and move. I love Christmas the most. Its the most fun and colorful. Of course there is the tree that is the main decoration in the house. 

Leelee1008
by Alicia on Oct. 19, 2009 at 3:04 PM
Years past I would start on blackfriday, now its usually a little before thanksgiving some stuff gos up and then i finish up the weekend of thanksgiving. we used to decorate the outside around the house but havent done it in a few years,this year i plan on doing it, as well as my usual out doors decorations. we get a real tree and it stays up til the 2nd week in january so we dont get our tree until about 2 weeks before christmas. I decorate the living room and kitchen the most, and all the windows and I usually add to my already HUGE collection of christmas items each year. Just thinking about it is making me Excited!!!
kingdommom
by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 10:22 AM

I start decorating for Christmas the night of Oct 31st and by the time my huband comes home the morning of the 1st of Nov. as he says he can barely got the door open!!!! LOL!

2009, took this one above over the weekend. Wont take out the big guns til Nov. 1st

2009, took this one above over the weekend. 

Some of these are from 2008, two are from this year when I started decorating over the weekend. I have a brand new porch this year and I cant wait to decorate it. I bought two 9 foot prelit garlands and a 30" wreath from qvc.

welcome.gif WINTER image by Shltie

All you Country Decoraters & Christmas lovers come join us@ Country Christmas Lovers

survivorinohio
by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 10:56 AM

I decorate around the first of Dec.  For many yrs I put the tree up on the 1st to celevrate my birthday.  I dont always get it done so early anymore truthfully lol.  I am not able to get up and down to do the outside decor ations and lights anymore but when my own kids were small we were known to light this big house up.  Its 3 stories so its a long way up!

Another change in my decorations happened when I burned our tree in the fire pit on new yrs day a few yrs ago.  I have never seen flames so fast and furious.  We will probably never have another live tree, it scared me.  I will say in its defense it was not a fresh tree when we bought it but i dont think it matters, those pine needles are very flammable.

Her are some pictures of some of my favorite decorations.

This last shot is a few yrs ago and we did the tree in the diningroom.  I included it because I love my snowflakes!

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

MichelleK41
by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 12:31 PM

We normally start around Thanksgiving and every year we do buy something new, LOL. It could be new ornaments or a different kind of lights or garland. I also love to use the holiday scenery. I will try to get pics this year and share. :)

Stacey_Mac
by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 4:47 PM

No matter what holiday you celebrate when you do you start decorating?  Usually the month of for most holidays.
Except for Christmas, that starts the day after Thanksgiving.  It is tradition to eat left overs and do Christmas decorating then.

Do you purchase something new each year?  I have to, lol! I just can't help myself.  Also, we only purchased our home two years ago, having lived in Apartments and its about three or so times the size of our largest apartment we had.  So there is MUCH MORE area needing decorating.

Do you decorate both outside and inside?  YES!!!!

Post photos if you have them from previous years.   That is ALL I've got on this computer, lol.

delanna6two
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2009 at 7:19 PM

No matter what holiday you celebrate when you do you start decorating?
We usually decorate after December 1st.

Do you purchase something new each year?
I usually end up buying a little something new each year - more lights, a cute new ornament, something for the door, etc.

Do you decorate both outside and inside?
We decorate inside mostly, but outside we have a wreath for the door and maybe some red bows.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN