Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gift giving

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2009 at 2:03 PM
  • 28 Replies

Hi Everyone!

gift

When it comes to gift giving, how many do you need to buy for?

How do you decide what to buy? 

Do you have a big gift exchange party/get together or do you visit each other separately to exchange gifts?

Tell us about it below!

|The CafeMom Admin Team

by on Oct. 23, 2009 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucy23794
by on Oct. 23, 2009 at 2:38 PM

we usually just get together and do a gift exchange. usually $20 gifts. and i just buy my daughter gifts. but this year, i want to buy my parents something special b/c i had a rough year and they helped me out a lot.

on my in laws side, we open our gifts on xmas eve after church. on xmas, on my side, we open gifts. 

Arianna-Hello-Kitty-1.gif picture by Lucy23794

ERNAProud
by on Oct. 23, 2009 at 2:53 PM

When it comes to gift giving, how many do you need to buy for? We are only buying for our immediate family this year, the rest of the family is getting baked goods and such. There are 8 of us all together in our immediate family.

How do you decide what to buy? Well, my little girl will play with anything, and they boys are into art and reading, so they will be easy. The oldest daughter, she just wants money every year, but I try to buy her something nice for the element of surprise and put the money in it somehow.

Do you have a big gift exchange party/get together or do you visit each other separately to exchange gifts?we use to, but we chose not to participate last year or this year. We just don't have the extra money and we don't want people spending on us if we can't spend on them:) We will probably drop by and leave some cookies or something.

Stacey_Mac
by on Oct. 23, 2009 at 3:03 PM

When it comes to gift giving, how many do you need to buy for?  I lost count already :-)  We only purchase for our parents, the grandparents, and our child.  My husbands sisters and their families only exchange with our son.  But the family is huge with children.  We only have one, so needless to say we purchase a heck of a lot more then what comes in, lmao. 

How do you decide what to buy? Everyone makes a "SANTA LIST" and we just pick and choose.  We try to stick to the lists or things that are pre-approved by someone that way there is no exchanging/returning (Our family is sooo scattered it is really hard when they dont have all of the same stores.)  Usually I just sort of butt in and pick what I want and claim it first because I am the one who starts my shopping first.  So I always pick out what I know I can find, is affordable, and I woudl like to get the glory of purchasing, HA!

Do you have a big gift exchange party/get together or do you visit each other separately to exchange gifts?  Every year it rotates between my husbands family and mine.  I am a west coast girl, he is east coast.  And it is done at a get together except for our gifts to each other and our son.  Those we do privately.. one of our parents are usually there but there isn't any other gift giving going on.  They just happen to be around.

shell81
by on Oct. 23, 2009 at 10:20 PM

We try to buy for family like our parents but our main concern is the kids. If we do buy for the parents then we just go give it to them on Christmas! Normally we buy what they need.

For the kids we buy what they need or ask for! 

Group Owner To - Moms With Blended Families

Group Admin To - Group Owner's Club

Queenfeld
by on Oct. 23, 2009 at 11:54 PM

When it comes to gift giving, how many do you need to buy for? 12

I buy for my 3 sons, and two Dil's, 2 Grandsons, my DH, My Mother and her boyfriend,My Neice and my Sister.

How do you decide what to buy? My kids usually pass along hints, the grandkids are easy too. My Mother is impossible to buy for (But I have her figured out this year) My Neice and sister household gifts for them and something simple for my Moms better half and my DH throws hints all year..LOL

Do you have a big gift exchange party/get together or do you visit each other separately to exchange gifts? We do have a big get together and gifts are being opened, However it's been mutual for years that we don't buy gifts for everyone. We have a huge family and hopefully we will get to the point of drawing names.

mrsjmomma
by on Oct. 24, 2009 at 1:42 AM

We buy for DD of course...eachother, only if we have money after we're done with everyone else!

WE also buy for my parents and his mom and her husband, his brother and sister, my 2 nephews, and then for my brothers and sister and their SOs we draw names.

With my family we just ask eachother if there is anything we'd like to have...with his family they don't give ideas so its kind of a guessing game!  This year I have no ideas! 

We exchange gifts with Dhs family on Christmas Eve Day before we go to his Uncles house. And we go to my parents before midnight mass and exchange gifts over there...sometimes Dh and I and DD will go to my parents Christmas morning too! Not sure what we're doing this year yet!

Stephanie3804
by on Oct. 24, 2009 at 8:49 AM

I usually buy something small for my parents and brother (they always say don't waste your money on us). I get my FIL usually a honey baked ham since his wife doesn't cook and I want to give him something they could use and make things easier on him. DH and I may do a few presents for each other this year, but mainly for our son. We don't have a big exchange party. We usually go to my parents on Christmas eve since my mom usually works Christmas and we visit my FIL's house on Christmas after my son opens his gifts.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
chairhead28
by on Oct. 24, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Quoting CafeMom Admin:

When it comes to gift giving, how many do you need to buy for? DH, our two kids (13 months and 2 1/2), my mother, MIL, best friend Samantha, my brother and my closest cousin.

How do you decide what to buy?  I usually ask what they want and if I can afford it, I'll get it, lol.

Do you have a big gift exchange party/get together or do you visit each other separately to exchange gifts? It depends...my family (mother, brother, cousin, DH, the kids and I meet on Christmas Eve (that's been our tradition since I was a baby) and exchange gifts at 12 midnight.) Then on Christmas Day, MIL comes over to our house and gives her gifts to DH, the kids and myself.

Tell us about it below!

|The CafeMom Admin Team

I'm Kristina. I'm a married (to my high school sweetheart, Bobby), breastfeeding (and child-led weaning), co-sleeping, baby wearing, ERF, solid delaying, vegetarian (for over 16 years), vaccinating, disposable diapering, gentle disciplining, full-time college student, House MD loving, anorexia, self-injury and sexually abuse recovering, Fibromyalgia suffering SAHM to a handsome boy (Daniel Matthew 5.5.07) and my darling little boobie monster (Ryleigh Madison 9.13.08).

People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available.  ~Chele Marmet

JessecaLynn
by on Oct. 24, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Quoting CafeMom Admin:

Hi Everyone!

gift

When it comes to gift giving, how many do you need to buy for?

We buy for each of our children, each other, our parents, and then we exchange names with my dh's siblings to buy gifts.  We don't exchange with my brother and sil because we've agreed not too.

How do you decide what to buy? 

The kids we decide on their current interests and what they could use.  For the parents, we buy things that they need, and we do for each other.  For my dh's siblings we give each other our lists of a few things we would like.

Do you have a big gift exchange party/get together or do you visit each other separately to exchange gifts?

We have a big get together because we live 660 miles away from the rest of the family so we try to drive up there to spend a few days with them.  If we can't go up usually our parents come down and the family send gifts down to us.

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Oct. 24, 2009 at 1:52 PM

We used to draw names with my husband's family, but since his parents passed away, we don't exchange gifts at all. He was one of eight kids, and they all had kids, and it's just too many to keep up with. Most of our grandkids are far away, we just send money. We buy for each other, the 3 year old we're raising and the 2 grandkids in Atlanta and their parents. We also have another couple we exchange gifts with, and a secret Santa in a card group I'm in.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)