Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi Everyone!

gift

When it comes to gift giving, how many do you need to buy for?

How do you decide what to buy? 

Do you have a big gift exchange party/get together or do you visit each other separately to exchange gifts?

Tell us about it below!

|The CafeMom Admin Team

by on Oct. 23, 2009 at 2:03 PM
Replies (11-20):
mom2-2crazyboys
by on Oct. 26, 2009 at 10:53 AM

I have the two boys of my own. Three nieces, a nephew and a sister that are under 7yrs old. My BFF's two little girls and a special cousin that is 9yrs old. Those are the kids I buy for...a grand total of 10 little ones. (We have had to cut out some, bc of financial reasons...very difficult to do)

My parents, then we split my DH's parents with his siblings. My grandparents, my BFF, an aunt, and my two adult sisters and a brother-in-law. OH...and I guess my DH.

How do you decide what to buy? 

Deciding what to buy is EASY!! It is limiting it that is hard!! The only difficult one is the boy 9yr, and only bc he is just hard to buy for, period.

Do you have a big gift exchange party/get together or do you visit each other separately to exchange gifts?

Christmas with my family is all together and BIG as we can make it!! My parents and the four of us kids with our families all get together Christmas morning and have the big exchange still. (I have a 7yr old sister, so we still get to play it up for us!! YaY!!) Then Santa visits our house while we are there, so my DH and I and the boys go home and have our Christmas!

Jaybelle00
by on Oct. 26, 2009 at 12:55 PM

I have 8 nephews all ranging from 3months to 16years old, and a niece...the only granddaughter in both families!!!  His parents draw names, and then I have my sister and brother, plus my parents...oh yea and it's my little man's first Christmas.  We either ship the presents early or exchange them on Christmas day.  I have absolutely no idea what I am going to do this year, every year I promise my self I will start early and never do...LOL!!! 

Bremcgee
by on Oct. 26, 2009 at 5:09 PM

When it comes to gift giving, how many do you need to buy for? 5 including my dh.

How do you decide what to buy? lol, wait for the kids to tell me and wait for dh to drop hints

Do you have a big gift exchange party/get together or do you visit each other separately to exchange gifts we really don't have a big get together, it's usually just the 6 of us.

jgal29
by on Oct. 26, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Well I have 10 to buy for this year

How do you decide what to buy?  Usually with the kids I start getting an idea by just watching what they are really getting into or need the hubby is the hard one LOL

Do you have a big gift exchange party/get together or do you visit each other separately to exchange gifts? I usually buy gift set or popcorn tin, or candles

McNicolMom
by on Oct. 26, 2009 at 7:37 PM

We buy everyone in the immediate family gifts plus all neices and nephews. For the rest of the extended family we draw names at Thanksgiving and buy one gift under $50.  I also make a variety of sweet treats for friends and family members. 

Catrin2009
by on Oct. 27, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Quoting CafeMom Admin:

Hi Everyone!

gift

When it comes to gift giving, how many do you need to buy for? 12 - 14 depends.

How do you decide what to buy? We require that you make a list, you are never to old to have a list. We go buy that.

Do you have a big gift exchange party/get together or do you visit each other separately to exchange gifts? On Christmas Eve, my family, mom and grandparents get together and do pizza, and watch the series of The Santa Claus, and open a few small gifts weather it be something hand made, or something we thought was cute.

Christmas day is the day we go all nuts and all 12-14 of us get together and open a massive amount.

Tell us about it below!

|The CafeMom Admin Team

Rushn311
by on Oct. 28, 2009 at 1:08 AM

When it comes to gift giving, how many do you need to buy for? I buy for my son and daughter, hubby, 3 nephews, 3 nieces and normally for 6 couples and my dad.

How do you decide what to buy? I make a list throughout the year of ideas or subtle hints that they dropped haha

Do you have a big gift exchange party/get together or do you visit each other separately to exchange gifts? I send gifts to hubby's family, and then my family comes to my house Xmas Eve

MrsDavid
by on Oct. 28, 2009 at 11:24 AM

We celebrate both Hanukkah and Xmas in our home.

When it comes to gift giving, how many do you need to buy for? DD24, SS 14, SD 9, ODGD 8, YDGD 6, DH, my BFF and my mom.  Eight all together. 

How do you decide what to buy?  Hanukkah is easy, they get one big gift and 7 smaller gifts.  I always buy socks and unders for each as a gift because it is a family joke.....everyone has come to expect to get new socks and unders and actually appreciate it.  I even buy my MIL socks and unders, she gets a kick out of that.

Do you have a big gift exchange party/get together or do you visit each other separately to exchange gifts? We go to the synagogue one night during Hanukkah for a party and MIL gives my skids presents there.  I make a big deal out of the nights of Hanukkah and we light candles and eat traditional foods, play dreidel and open one present. 

For Xmas Eve I make lasagna or stuffed shells (if Hanukkah overlaps we do latkes too) we set up a table for the kids to decorate cookies, then we go about the business of opening presents.  My DD and DGDs always spend the night and Santa will have left something for everyone in the morning.  DD and DGDs then go spend the remainder of the day with the other side of their family and DH and my skids and I head out for Chinese Food and a movie.

I have made it my job to ensure that both cultures are honored in our home and think I have done a pretty good job of combining the two...if I do say so myself.

Stepmothering is hard, find REAL support here: 
http://www.cafemom.com/group/30383

Are you a step mother raising your step children?  http://www.cafemom.com/group/imraisingherkid

August07Mom
by on Oct. 28, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Quoting CafeMom Admin:

When it comes to gift giving, how many do you need to buy for? This year, just our 3 kids

How do you decide what to buy? They usually tell us what they want and we fill in with clothes or other things they need.

Do you have a big gift exchange party/get together or do you visit each other separately to exchange gifts? Everyone comes to our house Christmas Eve to see the kids, because my 2 stepkids go back to their mother's that night.  Christmas Day is split between my parents and grandparents houses.

michelle623
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2009 at 2:45 PM

My dh and I buy for each other, our 3 girls, parents and other children in the family. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN