Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:32 PM
  • 8 Replies

I just joined. My husband hates holidays (I call him Mr. Scrooge. lol) so I'm stuck doing everything if I want anything done. He won't decorate, won't buy decorations, doesn't want to celebrate at all. It sucks. So I joined to get some help, advice, opinions, tips, whatever.

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
tretresmom
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Welcome to the group. 

Rushn311
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Well that's horrible! Did he have a bad xmas growing up?

ColieO
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Nope. He just thinks holidays bring out the worst in people.

Quoting Rushn311:

Well that's horrible! Did he have a bad xmas growing up?

klotztheatre
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Welcome!!  Oh you poor thing! I am so sorry that you are married to a scrooge. My ex was a total scrooge too! My husband now is more excited than I am*grin* But you know...you'll probably do a better job decorating anyway!

Cafe Jenn
by Head Admin on Oct. 31, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Hi ColieO,

welcome

I think we have husbands that are very similar, however my husband works retail, has worked retail for over 20 years and gets a little tired of hoopla surrounding the holidays.  I on the other hand, loved working retail because it put me in more of a mood for the holidays.  Now I get the excitement for the holidays by visiting the great groups on CafeMom.

Cafe Jenn

survivorinohio
by on Oct. 31, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Hi ColieO :)  I know you...

Dont fret about hubby being a scrooge, you may be able to bring him round as he experiences the event with a new family.  I would be cheerful and fill his belly with yummy holiday food.  It is my experience that most men are more pliable with their bellies full.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

MarthaCrocker
by on Nov. 1, 2009 at 8:17 AM

Hello, new here also, My hubby was like that about holidays but when we bought our house about 6 years ago all the neighbors said they couldnt wait to see how I decorated this big old thing. Well we had a great friend next door who also loved the holidays, and he and my hubby turned our house into the Griswalds Xmas. We had a Christmas party every year and all the kids decorate a big tree that we go and cut, they make decorations all the way down to paper chains, popcorn on a string . Our beloved friend passed a few years ago and my hubby lost his buddy, I try to encourage him every year to go decorate because if Randy were still here you would, He usually says no but I play the lost wife and screw something up with light outside and he comes to my resue and does a great job. Last year he went all out it was the first time since we lost Randy, Hubby just sies and does the outside and then takes pics, and has a drink with Randy in the garage to say see I did it. Find a way to encourage your hubby sometimes it doesnt hurt to play helpless female to get what you want.

Catrin2009
by on Nov. 1, 2009 at 12:13 PM

My Mom is like this, until the actual Holiday gets here. She hates the decorating, the christmas baking, the christmas light looking! She hates it all! On Christmas day she's a completely different person.

Quoting ColieO:

I just joined. My husband hates holidays (I call him Mr. Scrooge. lol) so I'm stuck doing everything if I want anything done. He won't decorate, won't buy decorations, doesn't want to celebrate at all. It sucks. So I joined to get some help, advice, opinions, tips, whatever.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)