Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christmas Traditions

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2009 at 2:26 PM
  • 10 Replies

Now that i have my own family . I was wondering what Family Traditions your family have.

My mom started to collect bells for every year we have been alive. and she given got a bell for the year she was pregnant with us if she was pregnant with us at christmas. Which was me and 2 of my sisterrs.

We put up Christmas the day of thanksgiving. after we eat we get the christmas down from the attic and start putting it up. It took my mom a week to put it up.

We got to open one gift on christmas eve which was from my mawmaw or one of my sisters.

We always went to my grandmamas house christmas morning to eat breakfast and open gifts. thwen go to my great grandmamas  house and did christmas there.

Now there is a new tradition that start in 2006 when my mom died. Every christmas we go to my moms grave and have a candle light  visitale

So what was your traditions growing up and What new tradions you have seen yall had  had your kids?

by on Nov. 1, 2009 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aldea
by on Nov. 1, 2009 at 3:58 PM

I've been going through books and magazines on new family traditions.  One thing we try and do each year is pick a neighbor close by (we live out in no mans land) don't have many neighbors.  We give a gift daily on the 12 Days of Christmas.  I've had a paper to give ideas , but can't find it at this time.

But on each day we give a gift to go with that day, for example:

On the 1st day : A partridge in a pear tree.  We've given a basket of pears, one year we found an ornament with a partridge in a pear tree.

We would also write little poems on the tag or card with the gift.  It takes planning and some creativity !

When I do find the paper I will post it up !

SanDiegoMaxMom
by on Nov. 1, 2009 at 4:08 PM

My son has a December birthday.  When Max was an infant, he had open heart surgery and we were fortunate to be able to stay at the Ronald McDonald House.  Each year at Max's birthday party we ask the guests to bring something for a family at the RMD house.  On the day after his b-day we deliver the gifts.  I love the feeling of giving back and teaching my son the importance of giving back.

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2009 at 4:35 PM

After thirty five years of marriage we have a lot., but one of my favorites is at the very beginning, trimming the tree. We have a fake tree now, which I swore we'd never do, but age creeps up on you in many unexpected ways, LOL. Anyway, we play Christmas Carols, sip hot chocolate, and take turns putting the ornaments on the tree. All of our ornaments have some special significance. Some were made by the children, we always buy ornaments as souvenirs on special trips, some were gifts. As each ornament goes on the tree, we talk about where it came from, sometimes argue because our memories don't always coincide, and it takes hours.

CafeMom Tickers
Rushn311
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Sorry about your mom passing. :( My mom died when I was 13 so we try to have the best xmas's in her honor.

Well Xmas was at my dad's up until 2001 and that's when I moved in w/ my now hubby. We have always celebrated on Xmas Eve. I don't know if it's a German thing or what, but we always have.

So my hubby and our two kids start decorating the weekend of thanksgiving...well me I guess. haha But we want a real tree this year, so other decor might go up before the tree.

hubby will start outside decor 1st week of December and we all usually help.

I let my daughter and when my son is older, to put their ornaments on the tree.

Other than that, we don't have too many traditions. Presents go under the tree when they are wrapped cause they are from US and Santa's goes under the tree Xmas Day midnight.

I often play xmas music, watch xmas movies and we try to get in the spirit. Hubby just goes along with it all but really enjoys the outside decor.

krise
by on Nov. 1, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Well we always get our tree on the 3rd. My DD was born on the 4th, when I was prego with her, I would tell her she couldn't come untell we got the tree. Got the tree on the 3rd, on the 4th at 5am I was having contractions and had hre 12 hrs later. So every year we get it on the 3rd.

Also our tree is made of strictly homemade ornaments me and the kids make. Every year we make something new. It's awesome to look at our tree so see nothing but memories. 

anh2231
by on Nov. 1, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Biscuts and gravy with hot cocoa in the morning, holiday cookies, ham, and our famous cheeseball.

JennyVirginia
by on Nov. 1, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Growing up we always went over to my Grandma's for Christmas Eve and had a huge ham dinner & exchanged gifts with my aunts/uncles/cousins.  Then Christmas day both sets of grandparents came over after we opened presents in the morning and had a turkey dinner!!  I've continued most of my Christmas traditions growing up with my own kids:

Our family always gets out the Christmas tree and decorations the day after Thanksgiving.  We listen to Christmas music and decorate away!!  We also throughout December make a gingerbread house - last year we started where each family member made one of their own.  My son did a train and the rest of us did little houses.  We also pick a Saturday in December and have Christmas special watching night on TV!!

The month of December we also do an advent calendar - I made 2 out of felt for each kid & I put little chocolates in each for each day!!  Then on Christmas Eve we bake cookies for Santa and the kids decorate them up real cute!!  We always read Twas the Night Before Christmas on Christmas Eve and have hot chocolate.  The kids then make hot chocolate for Santa; put out the cookies out for Santa & carrots for the reindeer. 

Then Christmas morning the kids open their presents and we always have a ham dinner.  Unfortunately we just moved far away from family so last year we had dinner alone but this year we've met some really great friends that we are having Christmas dinner with!!

BabyBeans0506
by on Nov. 2, 2009 at 3:58 AM

Thats so great to hear of your new tradition! I am sorry about the loss of your mother. My mother passed away in 2005 at the age of 48. The traditions that I have taken from my childhood  that I have continued with my own children is of course our fantastic Christmas Eves! We spend all day making all kinds of cookies, having a simple dinner, and just spending the time for us as our own little family unit of four. Then the kiddos get to open one gift each. Luckily thier daddy did this too when he was a small child. We opened our gifts at 6pm and his family did thiers at 7pm. So our little ones open one gift at 6:30pm...lol. The tradition I started for my family, actually started when my hubby and me were first engaged. We purchased an ornament for the tree for our first Christmas together. Every year since then we purchase a new ornament of each other girls, and one for us as a couple signifying something special that has happened to us during that year. This year we will purchase one for our new addition that we recieved in January- our sweet little lab Lucey. :)

Love My Husband Graphic

LOVE2BE-A-MOM
by on Nov. 3, 2009 at 12:19 AM

WE ALWAYS PUT UP OUR CHRISTMAS TREE AFTER THANKSGIVING DINNER ALSO ON CHRISTMAS EVE I ALWASY MAKE PARTY TRAYS WITH CHEESE , CRACKERS, DEVIL EGGS, AND OTHER SNACKS TO MUNCH ON WHILE WATCH CHRISTMAS SHOW ON CABLE AND GIFT WRAPPING :)

CHILDREN ARE NOTHING BUT A BLESSING

tazmidgiefairy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2009 at 2:32 AM

My mom and I have one that I am trying to get my husband to do with it is to watch a christmal carol the old black and white version and turn off all the lights and eat pizza we try to do this on christmas ever but since we both work and have things going on we do it christmas or christmas day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)