Group Home

How do you handle who to visit?

Posted by   + Show Post

The Holiday's sure can add stress to some families.  Who do we visit?  Who get's upset if we don't stay long?  In law issues......  so many things to consider.  What's up with your family and how do you decide or handle them?

by on Nov. 3, 2009 at 10:02 AM
Replies (21-30):
BabyBeans0506
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Since both of my parents have passed away, we just go over to my in-laws house for the holidays. Now usually my brothers will come over and visit either Christmas Eve, or later in the evening of Christmas day.

scleblanc
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:41 PM

My inlaws have passed, my bil usually goes to his son's family and my sil goes to her husbands family, so we either stay home and invite people or we go to my sisters

pookah1203
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:43 PM

we dont talk to his family anymore, because of pyscho issues of theirs.

Which will make it SO much easier.

Makes me kinda sad though, my kids will never be able to celebrate with them, because they're messed up royally.

In rememberance of Shane, Loving father and husband to Ashley and Skylie. 9-11-09

Journey311
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:54 PM

As a kid, Christmas was pretty easy for us.  We always spent Christmas with my mom's family (who lived about 4 hours away) because my dad's parents lived 16 hours away and owned a jewelry store.  By the time Christmas rolled around, they were too tired for company.  When I got married, it became difficult to appease everyone.  We've not done Thanksgiving or Christmas the same 2 years in a row.  We still try to go to my grandparents' for Christmas, mainly because DH's family doesn't really have any traditions or even try to do a family get together some years.  Here's what we're doing this year.

Thanksgiving:  Still up in the air.  DH has cooked every year since we've been engaged and has decided that this year our kitchen is completely closed.  My MIL mentioned that her husband is getting a turkey but has not given us any concrete plans.  My parents want to come over to our house and do the cooking, but DH is refusing anyone entrance into our kitchen.  We're trying to convince them just to do the hotel buffet, which we've done a couple of times.  If that's the case, we'll do the buffet for lunch and go to MIL's for dinner.

Christmas:  Here's where it gets tough for me.  Going to my grandparents' is so important, especially now that my grandmother has Alzheimer's.  Originally we were going to stay home, mainly because I'll be 34 weeks pregnant, but we've decided to go see my grandparents.  Christmas Eve we'll try to see DH's mom and brother and probably my parents since they're not coming to SC where my grandparents live.  Then Christmas morning, we'll open presents at home and leave around lunchtime to make the 4 hours drive to my grandparents' house.  The next day, we'll leave and drive about an hour to see our good friends who moved to SC last year.  Each year Christmas gets more hectic, but DH and I are adamant that from here on out we're doing Christmas morning at home with our son.

~Kim~

Wife to DH since 6.18.04

babies

pregnant

dqsmami06
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 6:17 PM

we have the exact same issue and as a matter a fact we were discussing this a few days ago usually we fight bc my family hardly talks to my husband and leave him out and we would go to visit at his parents at night time, taking our kid now 2 kids from one town to another but this year we decided to stay home for Thanksgiving and Christmas  and just celebrate it together....eat, relax and watch some movies, maybe even start some new traditions of our own  :) best of luck

xxLukesMamaxx
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 6:21 PM

We don't have that issue unfortunatly. We live in Florida and all our family lives in Kansas. :(

KangaT
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:24 PM

it seems we are a very fortunate minority, my DH and my family all get along wonderfully so we all just celebrate together.  Christmas eve is at our house since it's my son's birthday and then Christmas and Thanksgiving are normally held at my in law's home since they have more space to accommodate everyone.

There is no drama and it's usually the same every year and it's wonderful.  I'm sorry more families can't just enjoy the season with their loved ones and need to worry about time schedules and that especially those with kids.

themountainmama
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:17 PM

When my kids were little, we ran ourselves ragged going from home to home on Christmas day.  Hubby and I were both unable to give voice to our little family and the traditions we wanted.  My kids are teens now and we've learned to say no to some things and to shoot for Christmas Eve or even the weekend before Christmas to begin making the rounds.  We try to honor everyone.

JoysMom
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 9:48 AM

I always hate this topic. It's so difficult. We live near my family and get to see them regularly. For Joy's 1st Thanksgiving we went to see my husband's family (majority live in one location and his mom also went there). Since then we have done everything local. The reasons are two fold. One I can't stay at his Mom's house she has a cat and I am severely allergic. Two in order to be debt free I have taken a job at Toys R Us for the Christmas season, which basically means no travel at Thanksgiving or Christmas unless it's after Christmas. So the door is open to his mom to always come visit us, but that doesn't happen either. I feel like I am not allowing my hubby to see his family, but he also sees the constraints!

MommaReynolds
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 9:58 AM

well we were fortunate to only have one family in town the whole time....and that's DH's family. We did the while Christmas thing with his dad. However, his mom WAS in town... we just were at odds with her while we lived up there.

But once DH gets vacation time...it'll be interesting because we wil have to travel to either side of the family. So this year we'll be alone: next year we'll be when the family wars begin!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. egyptian_mommy
  2. SweetLuci
  3. BeachLifeMama
  4. proudmommy690
  5. Janet
  6. jconney80