Group Home

How do you handle so many?

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 11:04 AM
  • 13 Replies

We've got a big family - budget is tight - we can hardly do the birthday thing, let alone the Christmas one!  Birthdays are just one person scattered throughout the year.  But Christmas...

The kids are the most important at Christmas, I think.  I've got - let's see... great nieces and nephews... 4 of those, and 2 of my own.  The rest are adults.  4 nieces and nephews.  They all have significant others.  1 sister. My mom, and my husband.  So that's 16 CLOSE family.  Then you've got friends, teachers, bus drivers, therapists for the kids... 

What do you all DO for all of that, every year? 

And GIFT CARDS - they are okay, but do you know, a lot of people don't even use them?!?  In essence, you've put money out to buy a cheap piece of plastic, because it's never used!

Every year is exciting, but it seems to get harder and harder to

S T R E T C H  it out to cover everything! 

How do you DO it?!?!?

by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
itsnotaboutm765
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 11:05 AM

We buy what we can for the kids if there is money left for others I just ask them for ideas :O)

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Loving wife and mommy to three wonderful babies :O)

Crystallynn
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 11:11 AM

We focus on the kids first.... We have 6 nephews that we buy for.  ages are 18,10,6,6,4, 19 months.  For the 18 and 10 year old, we do prepaid Visa gift cards... that way they can use them anywhere.  For the 6 year olds, usually a veggie tales video apiece or some kind of learning toy, for the 4 year old, a small toy and some clothes, and for the baby- it is toys and clothes.  We also have my 2 kids to shop for and they are ages 11 and 9.  For family we limit it to about $20-$25 each- if we can get buy with less, then we do. 

The adults we like to do homemade gifts for.  Usually like cookies in a jar and soups in a jar..... it is cheaper than buying gifts for everyone.

annabellelee
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 11:14 AM

In my family we put all the adults' names in a hat and each adult draws one, then we buy for all the kids.

RosePetalTears
by Member on Nov. 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM

we do the younger kids first, and sometimes we check out the thrift stores. You can find new toys and clothes there for cheap. For the older kids I've made gift baskets with things for movie nights, spa nights, etc.  And the adults vary.  This yr I think I'm going to do a tin of sweets with a hand painted ornament on it.  I have all the paints, brushes and glaze here and you can get ornaments for 60 cents a piece at most craft stores.

mommybug77
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 11:18 AM

We have our 3 girls.

We get

MIL/FIL GC to go eat

SIL/BIL GC to go eat

mom/dad they are each getting a gas GC

Sister 1 is getting an itunes GC, toe socks, lip gloss

Sister 2 is getting Target GC, toe socks, lip gloss

I also have to figure out what to get my BF 4 kids. Then the older girls usually have to get a gift each for girl scouts.

DH tells me not to stress over what to get everyone. he is fine with GC for them.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Nov. 5, 2009 at 11:20 AM

I go to grage sales.The kids dont mind second hand.

heidi37217
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 11:41 AM

I have 17 nieces and nephews. I know this may sound cheap but I go the day after Christmas when all the Holiday gift sets are marked down 50% and buy a bunch then and put them away for the following year.  Perfume, cologne and Lotion sets everyone loves. Also thru out the year  I check for sales and stock up for birthdays, Christmas ect. I always have to buy so much at Christmas this really helps cut down on so much going out of my check at once.

aviecse
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 11:45 AM

We so secret santa for the adults and the only children that are in the family are ours so its pretty easy, although i have to say with only one salary it is hard to shop. This year we are doing a layaway so the children have a decent holiday. the past holidays they havent gotten much from us

Mom2SKMB
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 11:56 AM

We do not buy for nieces/nephews.  We made a plan with the SILs that everyone buy for your own family and leave it at that.  We do the same with friends, everyone provide for your own family.  If we absolutely want to give a gift its a treat platter with fudge, cookies, that kind of stuff.

With my immediate family, they do buy for my kids, my kids are the only grandkids so its a pretty small family, just my two sets of grandparents, my mom, my aunt and my aunts daughter, plus my hubs, and our 3 kids.  For my family we make gifts.  I go to Michaels and they have these cute little photo calandars for $1, you just stick a regular sized picture in the calandar and thats it.  Total cost after pictures is around $4 at the most.  This year the kids and I are going to visit family early in Decemeber so while there we will make some gifts, like ornaments, coffee mugs, that type of thing, very inexpensive but straight from the heart and the family LOVES to get gifts from the kids.  Oh and usually we do have professional pictures done of the kids at JC Pennys where each sheet is $3.99 so we give out 8X10s and let them frame them.

armysids ribbonbaseballangeltwin girls

Looking for great make-up, skin care, hair care, home decor, clothing, jewelry, mens, and childrens products?  Check out my Avon store.

TortisShell
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Wow!  I wish I had that kind of planning in me!  Start shopping for next year the day AFTER Christmas!!  Now, that's smart!  I just don't know where I'd put it that it wouldn't be discovered.  =/

Quoting heidi37217:

I have 17 nieces and nephews. I know this may sound cheap but I go the day after Christmas when all the Holiday gift sets are marked down 50% and buy a bunch then and put them away for the following year.  Perfume, cologne and Lotion sets everyone loves. Also thru out the year  I check for sales and stock up for birthdays, Christmas ect. I always have to buy so much at Christmas this really helps cut down on so much going out of my check at once.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. TheJerseyGirl
  3. sunshinepraying
  4. deccaf
  5. SweetLuci
  6. mrswillie