Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those who buy a real tree for the Holidays

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 11:49 AM
  • 6 Replies

For those of you who buy a real tree for the holidays what kind do you usually buy?  Also how much do they cost in your area?  The reason I asked how much is that when I was younger I remember trees only being $5 to $10.  Now in my area they're $30 and up depending on the size.  And we live in a rural area. We usually get a fraiser fir or douglas fir.   

by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
michiganmom116
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Im in the middle of Christmas tree farmers in Michigan!

Scotch pine are usually the cheapest, anywhere from $5 to $30, depending on height.

Blue spruce are more expensive than Scotch pine, about $7 to $40, depending on who you buy from and the height.

Then there are the others:  Black Hills spruce, White pine, Frasier fir, Douglas fir and Concolor fir.  Those are more expensive....

If you buy from a tree lot set up in any old parking lot, you're going to pay more.  They've had to buy the trees and pay for shipping and labor involved.  I buy right from a tree farmer and we pay less because there's no labor or shipping costs.

jdscirto
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 1:47 PM

We get a Douglas Fir and last year it was $65.

Mena929
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 1:49 PM

This will be the second year I have gotten a real tree.. I'm not too picky on the type, heck all I look for is something that can fit!

samuelsmom
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 1:52 PM

we dont buy our tree we go out and cut it ourselves... we live in Maine though, plenty of trees here.

Cafe Jenn
by Head Admin on Nov. 5, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Last year was the first year we did a real tree.  We got a Concolor and it ran us around $27, I believe.  Which I don't think is that bad.  I was really expecting them to be more.  We go to a local tree farm and get ours.  I'd really like to cut our own this year.  The tree free does both but it really depends on the weather and how we are feeling and all that.  We had a blast just picking out the tree.

krise
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 2:24 PM

we normally get one for 30-65 depending on the tree.. We go back and forth on what type. Depends on what mood I'm in I guess and which ones look nicer to all of us. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)