Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How many is to many?

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 12:17 PM
  • 16 Replies

My MIL and I are having an argument on how many is to many, she doenst think kids need more than 2-3 gifts a piece at christmas and growing up in my family we had so many between the 3 of us that you couldnt see the floor it was like 20-30 each....how many do you buy?

by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Army_Wife41
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 12:18 PM

We only got 1-3 each. We were not very well off. My son will get as many as we can afford, without putting ourselves in a bad spot financially.

baby

CafeMom Tickers

Crystallynn
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 12:19 PM

We do 1-3 "bigger" gifts and then about 10-12 smaller gifts... never more than about 15 each.  This year we are planning to get the kids a Nintendo Wii- and if that happens, they will share that "big" gift and then they will each get one other "big" gift.  My daughter is getting a new bike for hers, idk about my son yet.  He wants an IPod.... but we will see. 

SuperPickle
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 12:19 PM

We do 4 each with a special meaning...then a stocking

BabyBeans0506
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 12:42 PM

WOW I wish I could have this agruement with my MIL! Seriously- she is always trying to outdo us as parents. They (MIL &FIL) have more money to spend on gifts because they are not purchasing food and clothes for our children like we are. So they spend way to much and do it as a way of showing up mommy and daddy. I know this is the way it is, because its so obvious.

Anyway---- Me and DH do about 3 larger gifts each, 2 shared gifts, and about 3-4 smaller gifts.

MomToBeISaMom
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 12:46 PM

If 15 minutes after you open gifts, your kids can't recall what they received, then you bought too many gifts.  Every family does it differently, and I don't think there's a wrong or right answer.

2and2onway
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 12:48 PM

When we can afford it the kids get 5 each. One from parents, one from Jesus and the rest from Santa.

FOLLOW MY HOMESCHOOLING JOURNEY

EARN MONEY WITH ME

I am a proud wife and mother, I

home school my children, I CIO, I do not coddle but I do cuddle. I

am a FF, EBF, food loving mamma of 4 of the best and worst children. I

love them with all my heart and wouldnt trade them for the world!

Jeremiah 10, Briana 8, Braden and Sara 2

neenerashley
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 12:53 PM

My DD gets 4. One from me, one from Daddy, and one big one from both of us then she gets one from Santa and a stocking. Every family is different.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

peanutsmom323
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 12:58 PM

We don't set a number, it's more of a budget thing. The older one wants more expensive gifts, so she will end up with fewer than our toddler.

Check out my group for Busy Moms: http://www.cafemom.com/group/97158

valerie0103
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Every year in November or very early December we go through toyboxes and have the kids give toys to less fortunate children (unfortunately in our area that means thrift stores that will resale but atleast they won't cost new prices). That way when Christmas comes its not overwhelming with the amount of toys they will recieve. I also buy mostly clothes and outdoor toys. That way we don't have a ton indoors and it encourages them to be more active outdoors. I don't like to buy a lot of small indoor toys because they recieve so much from family members that the little things wind up in the toy box unused.

This year my DH and a few other family members are laid off so I don't think this year will have as many toys.

valerie0103
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 1:21 PM

On a side note, doesn't it drive you nuts when people try to tell you how to do things in your home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)