Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

family traditions... what's yours!

Posted by   + Show Post

I thought it would be fun to share some family traditions.. maybe a few new ones can be discovered and started this year!!!!!!! My favorite family tradition is well.. gift giving.. with a twist!

I am one of 5 kids, my parents felt it was important for the focus of the holiday to be family giving to each other.. rather then the gifts under the tree ( we got them.. just not that many) I remember my parents giving each of us 20.00 and getting a trip to the store of our choice to shop for siblings! So 20.00 for 4 gifts meant we had to budget the given amount ( nice lesson huh) We were responsible for wrapping and everything. These gifts were opened on christmas eve after church service ( very smart bribery for good behavior IMO)

We still all get together with our kids on chirstmas eve and our families and do this to a degree.. obviosuly our family is grown to a much larger size with spouces and children.. but it is a  tradition we are passing on!

by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 1:20 PM
Replies (11-20):
ReinsKitten
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 4:35 PM

We get our kids a new ornament each year during the season to put on the tree. I always write the year and their age on it somewhere too. My son (4) is old enough to pick his own now, and this is my daughter's 1st Christmas, so I'll get her a Baby's 1st Christmas one this year.

My son and I spend Christmas Eve day cooking garbage bread for Daddy to take to work and share (works overnights Eve into Morning), and Cookies for Santa and family. Then he (now both kids) will get a pair of new jammies they open to wear later that night.

My kids and I (and if not working, s/o) go to my grandparent's house to celebrate Christmas w/ my Dad's side of the family. Open presents, have a buffet-style dinner, etc... The kids change into the jammies before the car ride home.

We leave a key out for Santa w/ a cute poem so he can come in and leave presents, eat the cookies we leave him, and get the snacks for the reindeer we also leave.

Christmas morning we do Christmas at home, and in the afternoon go to my grandparent's to celebrate with my Mom's family. We do presents, dinner, and stockings by the fireplace. Instead of buying presents for everyone (way too many people), we buy for the kids, and one adult each that we picked out of a hat at Thanksgiving.

We also do Christmas parties for the 2 days before Christmas Eve with s/o's families. Yea, we have a lot of traditions, but I wouldn't change them for anything.

preview image  Lilypie - (weci)

shell81
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 4:39 PM

On Christmas we always wake up and open presents then cook breakfast.. Stay home and play with the kids. Then head to my parents to visit and help them finish up dinner. We eat at my parents house every year. I love going over there!!  

Group Owner To - Moms With Blended Families

Group Admin To - Group Owner's Club

JennyMarie
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 5:16 PM

My boys have for the last year made gifts for their grandparents and aunts and uncles. They each choose something new ever year. This year they have chosen to make ornaments.

We have a tradition on my side of the family, to booby trap gifts. Like say we have a pair of earrings for someone, we wrap that and put it in another box and then wrap it and we can do it again if we want. We always put something in it to throw everyone off, say like dry beans or small rocks to make noise. (my mom even put a brick in mine one year so I couldn't  guess what it was)

Catrin2009
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 5:58 PM

I don't have any traditions with my Daughter yet. She's of course to small but the traditions we do have growing up that we still do is,

Getting together with mostly my Mom and Grandma and wrapping gifts, baking, singing, watching Christmas Movies, and looking at Christmas lights.

momma_kelsey
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 6:13 PM

We have never had anything set...

But DH and I are kind of starting our own. We usually do appetizers at my mom's house with all the family. That includes HIS and MY family. Then we have a secret real Christmas dinner at our house with just my parents, my sister and her family and DH's dad and girlfriend. lol His mom is too much to handle for too long.

ashmac03
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 6:21 PM

We actually have a lot of holiday traditions starting on Thanksgiving.  We spend Thanksgiving at our house.  All of the family comes over.  Each person is responsible for making whatever it is they make best.  My hubby makes the turkey since he makes the best turkey ever!  My dad makes his dressing, my oma her mashed potatoes, my grandma her pies, etc.  Then my mom sister and I wake up at 4am to go shopping on black Friday.  When we get home we all go out to breakfast with our hubbies and kids.  Then we spend the rest of the day getting the xmas decorations down and ready for a tree trimming party the next night.  For xmas itself we open our presents on xmas eve and have a big prime rib dinner.  We alternate between my parents, my sister, and my house each year.  Then on xmas morning the kids open Santa gifts and we have a big breakfast.  Then we eat a big xmas dinner that night usually around 4. 

All this talk about xmas has me so excited!!!

Tiredmom53
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 10:06 PM

I raised my two boys that on christmas eve they could pick out one gift under the tree and open it, it helped them release some of their anixity so they could sleep.  Then there is one tradition that I passed to my chidren and they passed it to their chidren, when growing up we could get up and play with anything under the tree that Santa left unwrapped, and our stocking could not get Mom and Dad up until 7am.  Ate breakfast then got to open gifts. 

princessesmomma
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 8:38 AM

Hi; we have 2 specific special traditions. 1st 1 is on Christmas Eve the reindeer bring "Christmas jammies" to the door and we all get dressed for the night. 2nd is we all pick out a new ornament for the tree that we will get to send to our kids houses when they get older. Lastly we always make non bake cookies (Carmel chocolate oatmeal butterscotch and coconut mixed)

teen girlmaddy 3-13-02       girl on a swingAlix 5-1-04   

toddler girlKylie 8-26-08

christlmomof2
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 8:42 AM

We used to go to my parents for Christmas eve and have homemade pizza.  It was for my grandma's Christmas and the last few years she hasn't wanted to do it :(.  So we went anyways and it was just us but my mom doesn't want to do it this year either.  Makes me sad.  I remember doing this since I was little.  SO - this Christmas eve will be our families which may not be a bad thing since we have so many places to go on Christmas.  So I'm debating on what to do - we may just make Christmas Cookies for Santa :).  And prolly the homemade pizza too!

Christl - wife to Larry & momma to Braxton and Brooklyn

Woman In Rollers Frog Prince Kid With Toy Car   Kid With Doll   

christlmomof2
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 8:45 AM

Quoting Rushn311:

I think that's very cute what you guys do! :)

Our tradition(s) aren't many. We celebrate Xmas Eve, so that's when our children open their gifts from family and us. I host Xmas Eve, so everyone comes to us. I make a big dinner, dessert, gifts, pictures...it's really great!

Xmas day our kids open their gift from Santa in their pj's. We eat breakfast together. Then about 45 minutes before dinner, we hop in the car and look at Xmas lights around the neighborhood, then get Chinese. :D

This sounds like so much fun!  It seems like we are so busy rushing around on Christmas day that we don't have time to enjoy it as much as we should.  I would love to do the whole Christmas lights and Chinese thing! Reminds me of a CHRISTMAS STORY! haha...do you eat duck too? ;)

Christl - wife to Larry & momma to Braxton and Brooklyn

Woman In Rollers Frog Prince Kid With Toy Car   Kid With Doll   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)