Group Home

family traditions... what's yours!

Posted by   + Show Post

I thought it would be fun to share some family traditions.. maybe a few new ones can be discovered and started this year!!!!!!! My favorite family tradition is well.. gift giving.. with a twist!

I am one of 5 kids, my parents felt it was important for the focus of the holiday to be family giving to each other.. rather then the gifts under the tree ( we got them.. just not that many) I remember my parents giving each of us 20.00 and getting a trip to the store of our choice to shop for siblings! So 20.00 for 4 gifts meant we had to budget the given amount ( nice lesson huh) We were responsible for wrapping and everything. These gifts were opened on christmas eve after church service ( very smart bribery for good behavior IMO)

We still all get together with our kids on chirstmas eve and our families and do this to a degree.. obviosuly our family is grown to a much larger size with spouces and children.. but it is a  tradition we are passing on!

by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 1:20 PM
Replies (21-30):
jgl3g
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 9:41 AM

We normally do cookies and hot coco for santa then when the kids are asleep we rap and put out the presents while snacking on the cookie. The girls also leave a note for santa and we in return leave one for them. This year things may become a little different as my parents just moved here where we are so we will start spending xmas with them.

erinjo21
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 9:53 AM

we take each of our children to the store to buy something for there sisters the get 20 to spend and the girls come out with a gift from each of them

29again
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Well, our first dd was born on Christmas Eve, so that tends to be a hectic day.  It is her birthday until the evening, usually about when the evening church service starts.  We leave birthday cake out for Santa, and a treat for the reindeer (oatmeal mixed with glitter thrown out in the yard, the birds get the oatmeal...Kids love this!).  We do Christmas at home, and then with dh family on Christmas day.  We then do Christmas with my parents on New Years Day.  (This cuts out a lot of rushing around, lets some of us who need to hit the sales after Christmas, and allows for some of the weird work schedules we have had.  It also gives the younger ones something to look forward to after Christmas.)  (This tradition started the first year dh and I were married, we were so broke, my Mom suggested that we wait for a week or so, so that dh and I could hit the sales.  She also felt it more appropriate, to fit in with the Wise Men who visited the manger 12 days after Jesus was born.  It has now been officially dedicated to New Year's Day, so that even if someone works at a restaurant, we know what day to request off!!)

reneelfrey
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Our family goes and picks out a tree at the tree farm. We bring it home and let the kids help carry it in. That is a funny site... Then the boys and I decorate it with Christams music. Christmas eve we go to church and then take the kids to hear the steam whistles blow. It is really cool.

stephs0105
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 1:05 PM

well we open presents xmas morning then get ready and we all go to my grandmas and eat menudo(its a soup)and then any presents they have their for the kids they open them i just dont think we would be doin it this year since my aunt passed away(my grandmas daughter and moms sister) in jan this year so my grandma and mom are going to trry to go out of town this year

boodle2008
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Every Christmas we get our kids a present that represents what they were most in to that year, wrap it and put it in a big tote box. Once they turn 18 we'll let them open all the presents from years past. Nothing huge, just a little memento so they can look back and remember.

We have an advent box that we put good treats in, and each night before bed we have a Treat by the Tree. Usually chocolates, and everyone get a bite.

On Christmas morning the whole family comes over, my mom, step dad, sister, mil, fil, sis in-law... and we have coffee and cinnamon rolls and open presents. After they leave, it's a little quiet time before we go over to mil and fil's house for fondue and more presents.

I am so making reindeer food this year, oatmeal and glitter, what a great idea!!

mrsjmomma
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 8:02 PM

I Found the perfect braces ornament the other day!!!! I was teasing my brother about it, it was adobrable I'll find it!

Quoting NANCJO:

Our family does the ornament.  Every year each of my children [4 of them] gets an ornament that coinsides with what is going on in their life that year.  My son last year turned 16 , so his ornament of course was a santa in a car, my daughter 14 at the time really did not have anything special going on in her life at the time so she was able to just pick something out special to her so she picked a funky ornament that looked like a lady shopping..kinda hard to explain.  Doing it this way is a little hard for example this year my youngest daughter started band, so I am looking for a flute ornament.  My oldest daughter had her braces removed this year so I would like to find an ornament that shows braces on someone...that one will be next to impossible to find I bet, if you see one let me know!

mrsjmomma
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 8:12 PM

http://www.personalcreations.com/braces_ornaments-products-7H323X-1-302-3037.html

http://www.personalcreations.com/musician_ornaments_choose_from_13_ornaments-products-7H389X-1-302-3037.html

Quoting NANCJO:

Our family does the ornament.  Every year each of my children [4 of them] gets an ornament that coinsides with what is going on in their life that year.  My son last year turned 16 , so his ornament of course was a santa in a car, my daughter 14 at the time really did not have anything special going on in her life at the time so she was able to just pick something out special to her so she picked a funky ornament that looked like a lady shopping..kinda hard to explain.  Doing it this way is a little hard for example this year my youngest daughter started band, so I am looking for a flute ornament.  My oldest daughter had her braces removed this year so I would like to find an ornament that shows braces on someone...that one will be next to impossible to find I bet, if you see one let me know!

Mom_to_Lincoln
by Member on Nov. 6, 2009 at 11:33 PM

I started a tradition with my son that I use to do as a kid, we make or buy a new ornament for the tree every year. I put his name and the year on it and hang it from the tree. He is only 2 so we have not been doing it long but I plan to do it every year. We did this as kids and then every year when we hung them up on the tree my sisters and I each had a box of our own ornaments that we got to hang anywhere we wanted.

another family tradition my mom started is to get a big family photo every Thanksgiving. all the kids and grand kids. It does not happen every year because we have such a big family and we cant all always make it.

mommy2angels427
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 11:35 PM

bump.. will share later and for interest.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. egyptian_mommy
  2. SweetLuci
  3. BeachLifeMama
  4. proudmommy690
  5. Janet
  6. jconney80