family traditions... what's yours!

Posted by   + Show Post

I thought it would be fun to share some family traditions.. maybe a few new ones can be discovered and started this year!!!!!!! My favorite family tradition is well.. gift giving.. with a twist!

I am one of 5 kids, my parents felt it was important for the focus of the holiday to be family giving to each other.. rather then the gifts under the tree ( we got them.. just not that many) I remember my parents giving each of us 20.00 and getting a trip to the store of our choice to shop for siblings! So 20.00 for 4 gifts meant we had to budget the given amount ( nice lesson huh) We were responsible for wrapping and everything. These gifts were opened on christmas eve after church service ( very smart bribery for good behavior IMO)

We still all get together with our kids on chirstmas eve and our families and do this to a degree.. obviosuly our family is grown to a much larger size with spouces and children.. but it is a  tradition we are passing on!

by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 1:20 PM
Replies (31-38):
elly25
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 11:40 PM

Growing up we would go to my grandma's house to calibrate the holidays.There was the holiday fight over who gets what after dinner and then the family desert.Play board games at Christmas every year too.Now I get together with my husband's family and have "lunch" with them.We have dinner for lunch.That is our food tradition.Also,we open one gift the day before Christmas.Just one.Then we wake up early Christmas day to open up the rest,I make breakfast for everybody,and then start Christmas dinner.

owls

auroragold
by on Nov. 7, 2009 at 7:51 AM

I've loved reading all of these posts; thanks ladies!

I was going to say that I don't think we HAVE any traditions -at least not like I did when I was a kid but maybe we do afterall.

We are alone in our community - no family members within 3 hours so it's usually just DH, DD and myself. I miss the chaos of Christmas dinner but what can you do?

We do a Christmas Countdown Calendar (sort of like Advent but it starts 12/1). It has an ornament for every day that gets hung on a felt tree. And of course there's always a little gift for the day.

DD's birthday is 12/7 so the calendar is the ONLY decoration allowed in the house until AFTER her birthday.  Yep - we don't decorate until her birthday has been properly recgonized and celebrated.

We always buy the tree together as a family then decorate together while enjoying cocoa and treats!

Christmas Eve DD and I make a fresh batch of cookies for Santa and before bedtime we go outside and sprinkle reindeer food (oatmeal mixed with colored sugar sprinkles) so they can find their way.  Of course she writes a Thank You Santa note to leave with the cookies.

That's been about it for years but after reading these posts, I may just start some new traditions!

Momof3cuties
by on Nov. 7, 2009 at 7:56 AM

My family tradition is to put the Christmas music on & get the tree up while the turkey is cooking Thanksgiving day....I also take the kids' picture for our Christmas cards that day in front of the tree.  I email them to Sam's Club that night & pick them up Monday morning.  This year it will be extra fun bc my son & his girlfriend will be here for Thanksgiving & I will be giving him his ornaments & they will be helping to decorate the tree!  

MDMomof2Cuties
by on Nov. 7, 2009 at 8:32 AM

I LOVE Christmas.... because of all the family traditions that we celebrate!  Even though I am now married and have 3 children of my own, I still go to my parents house every November and help them decorate their tree... my boys help now too.  

And my own little family started the tradition of picking out and cutting down a live Christmas tree.  It's wonderful!! 

My mom always hides a Christmas pickle somewhere in her house..... usually it's on a tree.  :)  And we always open up one gift on Christmas eve at our house. 

We also have lots of huge family gatherings around the holidays.  And on Christmas eve and Christmas we have our own little routine that we following of visiting all of our relatives that still live in this area. 

Just to name a few.  :)

SCorbeau0616
by on Nov. 7, 2009 at 9:17 AM

this may sound crazy but we love to spend the holidays alone, especially this year. We just bought our first home and will be moving in in 8 days so we are very excited to spend thanksgiving and christmas by ourselves in our home that we worked our butts off for. My side of the family dislikes my hubby because hes the kind of person who speaks his mind no matter what so they asked me this year not to bring him so my daughter and myself will not be going either, thus beginning our tradition. I'm very excited about it because we were home bodies anyway and i hated to see my hubby so uncomfortable around them all.

I am a conservative, multiple guns in my household, country music listening, sometimes vaccinating, bottle feeding, disposable diaper using, US officer's wife and mother to one beautiful little girl with another on the way this summer.

wedding planning
Jemia
by Shekella on Nov. 7, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Every since I've been married to my husband we go to a relatives house on his mother's side have dinner and open gifts.

CafeMom Tickers
fitrah
by on Nov. 7, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Hi

See if this site has anything you can use.

http://www.findgift.com/Categories/Occupational-Gifts/Dentist/

Arizonawoman130
by on Nov. 7, 2009 at 10:56 AM

We bake cookies and have a good meal when the kids are with us or when we visit them! They live in UT and we live in AZ! I miss my grandkids! We still put up a tree but Christmas is the gift of giving and I miss snow at Christmas too! I miss the huge mts.

Linda

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: