Group Home

How to properly set a table.

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 2:53 PM
  • 1 Replies

I know, it's not the 1950's and most of us are much too busy to worry about which side a salad fork goes , but there's certainly a lost art and charm about a properly set table. Impress your holiday guest with a beautifully set table, here's how!

Step one:  Set your canvas by ensuring there's enough room for your guest to be comfortable. ( Place plates about two feet apart). Once your plates are set, you can use them to balance the rest of your place setting. Cups and glasses go on the right side of the plate, salad and butter plates on the left.

Step two:  Place silverware in the order of use, to make things simple do not put out silverware that will not be used. Forks should be placed to the left side of the plate, while Knives and spoons should be placed to the left. Please, ensure that the cutting edge of the knives is facing towards the plate and that all handles are in alignment. The napkin should go to the left of the forks.

If you are serving desert, ensure that the fork and spoon are above the plate, the fork handle should face left and the spoon handle should face the right.

Step three: Wine glasses should be placed directly above the knives, slanted downward from the upper-left. If you aren't serving wine, you can replace the wine glasses with tumblers for water or mugs for beer. If you are serving coffee, please ensure that the coffee cup and saucer are placed to the right-side of your place setting.

When a man is freed of religion, he has a better chance to live a normal and wholesome life. - Sigmund Freud

by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
MrsDavid
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Excellent reminders!  I do hope the art of setting a table isn't lost on our younger generations.  I have taught all of my children, and they do it quite well.  I don't set out the desert spoons/forks until desert though. 

Stepmothering is hard, find REAL support here: 
http://www.cafemom.com/group/30383

Are you a step mother raising your step children?  http://www.cafemom.com/group/imraisingherkid

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. BeachLifeMama
  3. SweetLuci
  4. mom2jessnky
  5. mrswillie
  6. proudmommy690
  7. alf2651
  8. Wish2Be
  9. nngmommy83
  10. momofsixangels
  11. momofnatalie
  12. lyrick24
  13. melliburger
  14. exhaustedmother
  15. wandep
  16. brownhoney21
  17. louannwilkins
  18. lilmama31709
  19. lizzig
  20. Tigress22304
Today's Question Tell us what you think!

Which back to school item(s) do you buy new every year?

Only CafeMom members can vote on polls.
Click here to login or register.