does anyone else think this is a good plan

Posted by   + Show Post

Okay i have two children...She is 5 and he is 7.  I am planning on spending at most 200 (100 on each ) some people when i told them that were shocked like that's it??  I am sorry but i get my kids gifts they like i try to find good deals etc.....i don't want to get them everything they want all the time and me go broke for it ya know..,,,, like take this for example i got my son 5 ds games for 40 dollars that's a very good deal !!! Anyways just wondering if anyone else thinks I'm not spending enough lol (  i had to put that because someone told me that is not enuff to spend on each child ) jennifer

by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 3:58 PM
Replies (21-25):
queeniamissy
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Don't worry about what other parents say is too little or too much!  You spend what you want/can spend on Christmas.  I personally spend about $200 on each child (I have 2) that amount includes presents from me & dh and also from Santa.  With how much toys/games are today you don't get a lot for your money!

We should all be thankful that we can give our children anything for Christmas!  Christmas is about love, compassion, togetherness, and celebrating the birth of Jesus, not whether you spend $5 or $500 on presents.

jollilolli
by Member on Nov. 6, 2009 at 6:21 PM

No matter what anyone says to you about the dollar amount being to low, you spend what you feel you can handle financially.  The holiday is not about making yourself go into debt.  Your children, I'm sure, would appreciate whatever was given to them, even if you couldn't afford to spend $100 on each of them. 

Have a Happy Holiday!

mom2Bellarose
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 6:59 PM

There are many children who sadly get nothing on Christmas morning. I think $100 on each child is just fine and much more than other little ones get this time of year.

Each family does it differently. There is no wrong or right answer to how much to spend on your kids.

Bekah062205
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 8:02 PM

your spending what is right for you and your family. Dont let other people tell you that your not spending enough. Kids arnt going to know how much was spent. They dont care...they just care about getting presents(for the most anyways).

Queenfeld
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 8:14 PM

It's whatever works for your Family...I used to buy my sons everything on their list, I thought I had to compensate for them not having aunts,uncles & Grandparents who bought them gifts on my husbands side, IMO they became Ungrateful and expected everything they had asked for. We stopped allowing them to make Christmas list and allowed them to only ask for one item. Everything else they got was an added bonus and a Surprise, so when they opened it, you got that Kodak moment look on their face instead of that oh OK, there it is look on their face. As my kids got older I found that I was always trying to top the Christmas before and when they became adults and we had Grand kids to buy for, My own children's were asking for Elaborate gifts because it was what they had grown accustom too. Now I've set a limit and go by it and they no longer expect it. We learned our lesson and don't over buy for the Grand kids. If it's something your comfortable with, then do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: