Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do you plan on affording christmas this year?

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 6:32 AM
  • 23 Replies

We know most people are hitting hard times this year, and I don't know about anyone else but every single unexpected bill you can think of hit between Oct, and Dec, for us EVERY YEAR! We are going to use layaway this year. We've never used it before and I've always wanted to. We really have no other choice. Oh and we live in GA and we have around 6 pecan trees in our yard. There are places around here you can take them and sell them by the LB, we usually give them away but we selling them this year.

by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 6:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christlmomof2
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 8:05 AM

I just recently started babysitting my BF's little girl.  And I watch her wed-fri and I get $65 a week.  I have been using that for groceries and things but I'm going to start saving it up.  I joined a direct selling business a year ago and last Nov. I made good money because of Christmas sales and this year it looking good as well!  So I'm hoping to have enough extra money after bills (ewy!) to get DH and I the TV that we were supposed to get last year for Christmas but couldn't afford it (eventually this old robot we have is gonna die lol).  And then have a good chunk to spend on the kiddos.

Some ideas that I have about saving $$ this year is making some of the presents like rice bags to heat up and things of that nature.  And I'll add that to a present so they get something but maybe not something as big.  And I am going to start shopping 2nd hand stores for the kids - especially for outside play stuff.  You can find bikes, trycicles, play equipment - all cheaper and the kids won't care!  For DS's bday I bought a handful of VHS tapes at a flea market for $1 each and he didn't care (yes I said VHS!).

Christl - wife to Larry & momma to Braxton and Brooklyn

Woman In Rollers Frog Prince Kid With Toy Car   Kid With Doll   

auroragold
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 8:06 AM

In all honesty - I haven't figured it out yet. It's been a tough year but we'll find a way to make DD happy. She's easy to please and does will with the THOUGHT of the gifting and the fun around the holiday. The actual gifts don't have to be spectacular 

taylorleosmama
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 8:16 AM

Kmarts layaway thats what we used.

mandarose
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 8:20 AM

We are truly blessed with my hubby's job. He gets his quarterly bonus at the end of november and then gets his christmas bonus the first week of december. We use both of those on christmas and trips up to his mom and dads house. If it weren't for those we wouldn't be getting a very good Christmas at all, any year. We do use layaway though for numerous things throughout the year and we plan on using it for a few things for the big things.

BrenMOM
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 8:23 AM

turkeyInstead of  going out and buying what I think is cool and the kids might like, I am calling their parents. This way, I am spending money on what the nieces and nephews really want and helping their parents out by crossing that off their list.

I am hoping this cuts down on the frivolous spending but still brings a smile to their face.

Bren

psych_mom
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 8:28 AM

We are shopping very carefully! We don't have a lot of money to spend and we decided only 3 presents each this year, which my kids are ok with. I feel bad about it, but we have to do what we can.

Jemia
by Shekella on Nov. 6, 2009 at 8:38 AM

We are going to use layaway at Kmart and Sears this year.

CafeMom Tickers
shaunalynn25
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 8:45 AM

We are only doing cards for family and getting DS only a few gifts. We are not spending a lot of money this year.

princessesmomma
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 8:45 AM

We used Kmart layaway for a few things as well as i grabbed a few things periodically thru the yr as i saw them on sale. Other then that it will be a small Christmas; but it'll still be fun!

teen girlmaddy 3-13-02       girl on a swingAlix 5-1-04   

toddler girlKylie 8-26-08

MomW773
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 8:49 AM

We are cutting way back this year.  We are only buying gifts for the kids and that's it.  No adult gifts.  My hubby and I aren't buying for each other either.  We plan on giving each of our 3 kids around $100-150 each and then a few small gifts.  We usually spend a ton at Christmas, but not this year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)