Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do you plan on affording christmas this year?

Posted by   + Show Post

We know most people are hitting hard times this year, and I don't know about anyone else but every single unexpected bill you can think of hit between Oct, and Dec, for us EVERY YEAR! We are going to use layaway this year. We've never used it before and I've always wanted to. We really have no other choice. Oh and we live in GA and we have around 6 pecan trees in our yard. There are places around here you can take them and sell them by the LB, we usually give them away but we selling them this year.

by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 6:32 AM
Replies (11-20):
michiganmom116
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 8:51 AM

We just found out that hubby's getting laid off starting Monday.  I knew this would be a tight year so I started planning back in June, buying materials to make some gifts and getting good deals on other gifts.  My major shopping is done, thank goodness.  I haven't bought any stocking stuffers, but I think I can afford a few dollar store items.

29again
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 12:50 PM

To be quite honest about it, I have no idea.  I am hoping that I can qualify for the extended unemployment that was signed today....If not, it will be only what gets donated by Salvation Army, which will help for my son, but there is no guarantee that my 16 yo dd will get anything....I will probably end up making certificates and coupons for various things.  Oh, I also have 2 birthdays to get through in Dec. before Christmas!!!!  Sometimes I just hate December... 

daralynn
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 12:56 PM

I am a waitress so Christmas depends on me making good tips, so far bussiness is so slow that keeping food in the cupboards has eaten all my money LOL hopefully things will pick up soon otherwise IDK

Rushn311
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Money has been very tight for us this year, so I just buy a few $20 gifts here and there. I am pretty much done w/ my daughter's gifts, half done w/ my sons and I need to finish my nephews presents. So I did decently, although we aren't doing the adults this year :(

millerbunch
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 2:20 PM

we had them do a list, then hubby and i went to Kmart to do a layaway..  we chose things off the lists and when each girls list hit 250. we were done.. having three girls is expensive.. and we have a 1 yo boy, who won't get much  lol  because he has several toys already..

the extended families, normally get a card and a gift card...

thavesfamily13
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 2:35 PM
We are doing small gifts. Matt lost his job a year ago and did not qualify for unemployment. We had money in savings that has been covering bills. I was watching a family of 5 and that ended the end of August, right before my car accident that totaled my car. So I am slowly on the mend. I am focusing on my direct selling businesses in hopes to bring more money in the house. We look at it this way, the kids and us get gifts at his families home and my families home. Plus the season is really about celebrating being together and Christ's birth.
MommaReynolds
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 2:39 PM

DH keeps avoiding the subject with me! I want to start putting away money now (well actually a month ago) but he's just avoiding the subject. I am trying to sell some of the kids' clothes online and my wedding dress (size 16 if anyone's interested) but there's no luck there!

SarahMich3113
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 2:48 PM

crossing my fingers and hoping Santa is real lol...I'm going to try to get a census job for the holiday season so i can try to get the kids the things they want...i don't like them knowing things are tough

♥Sarah Michelle♥
Single Mommy to Devin and Raeann
☼come take a look around☼
www.youravon.com/stowers
sallymoon
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 2:52 PM

I will have to work a bit of overtime to be able to afford anything at all.  My husband just started working again after being unemployed all year, but we are so behind on stuff.  I'll try to make sure that my nieces all get something from us (it'll be small), but the adults may not be getting anything other than a card.

ajswenson
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 2:55 PM

This is what we are doing too exactly.  I also have a bunch of stuff at a consignment shop that pays out at  90 days, and I will get that money beginning of Dec.  I hope I sold lots!!! And I'm secretly hoping DH still gets a Christmas bonus, but I can't count on it.  The hard part for us is that DD just had her birthday, and DS's birthday is Dec 5 so we have to fit that in too.  But....tax refund is right around the corner. HALLALUJAH!

Quoting MomW773:

We are cutting way back this year.  We are only buying gifts for the kids and that's it.  No adult gifts.  My hubby and I aren't buying for each other either.  We plan on giving each of our 3 kids around $100-150 each and then a few small gifts.  We usually spend a ton at Christmas, but not this year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN