Group Home

Teaching young ones to give...

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 9:50 AM
  • 6 Replies

How would you go about teaching a 3 year old and 18 month old to donate things? I know my 18 mth old wouldn't understand it completely...but I think my 3 year old would. Like I want to go through their toys and get out the ones they don't play with anymore and donate them to like a church or something.

I just don't know how to explain it to him! We donate money to people sitting outside of Wal-Mart here and there....but he likes it cause they usually give him candy...he's not learning anything there!

by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MarthaCrocker
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 10:24 AM

We pick a name of the angel tree every year and buy for that child and I just tell minethat the mom and dad of that child need a little help this year . Kids tend to think Santa brings it all, we have been teaching Santa brings a couple things but mom and dad get you stuff too, and some kids parents don't have enough money left after bills to buy them something, so we help someone every year. There was a time years ago, it was just my daughter and I and I was lucky to keep the roof over our heads and I had to rely on someone elses generosity for my daughters xmas, ever since then I do it every year , My daughter loves to pick out at least one thing that is over the top for that kid, she says Santa always brings one thing you didn't ask for but were happy you got it.

momof5inohio
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 6:44 PM

I have a soon to be 9 year old son with autism, a soon to be 7 year old daughter, soon to be 6, 4, and 3 year old. I always tell them that we have to get rid of some toys to give to other children that needs some goodies under their tree. It really gets them in a giving spirit. Plus. I also tell them that the more they give the bigger reward you will get out of life. My children have a huge heart which is awesome.  

qtmomof2
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Ever year (around this time of year) we go through closets and toys and get rid of stuff my 9 year old no longer plays with. We donate it all and I always explained it was for kids who didn't have a lot of money.

This year my daughter decided to have an animal themed birthday party. Instead of presents she wants her guests to bring money for the MSPCA. We'll be hand delivering the money a few days before Christmas and that will be her gift to the animals :-)

I try to get her involved with as much as I can since we don't have a lot of money ourselves. We always do the food drives and this year we will be donating a pair of PJ's to a pajama drive. I don't know ..I've always just done it and she has just gone with the flow.

Mom2Jack04
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 7:57 PM

We donate toys and clothes several times a year.  So much so that sometimes my son, who is now 5, says "I don't really play with this anytime let's give it to "sharity" "  LOL I love how he says it as "share-it-e"

MommaReynolds
by on Nov. 7, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Thank you for the replies ladies! They truly warm my heart to know that there are still people out there teaching their children to be GOOD people despite all the horrible in the world.

I think we'll be going through toys and getting rid of some. I heard one of the local churches can use some toys for the Mother's Day Out program...so maybe we'll do that! And I LOVE the idea of the angel tree! I haven't done it since I had my son, and I did it 2 or 3 years before that! But its such a great feeling that some where a kid is having a great Christmas because you cared!! I'll have to go find one soon!!!

Thanks again!! and please...anyone else continue to tell your stories!

runnermomma
by on Nov. 8, 2009 at 8:24 AM

We do this every year with my kids and have since they were too young to even understand.  We just put a basket in their room and we fill it up.. we tell them that there are kids here in our own country some of them our next door neighbors who are not as blessed as we are and are not able to have all the toys that we have.   We tell them that every year before Christmas we are going to pick out some of their toys and donate to kiddos like this.  We also adopt a family every year and get to go and pick out new things for this family~the kids are really starting to enjoy both of these.  We also donate food baskets to families and we get our kids involved in this.  When the kids are just a little bit older we are going to try to find a soup kitchen or something where we can all serve. 

I am always so happy to hear that other families are teaching their kids to love people and share their abundance!  I think it will teach them to grow up having an appreciation for what they have in life!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. deccaf
  2. SweetLuci
  3. egyptian_mommy
  4. mrswillie
  5. TigerofMu
  6. jconney80