Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baked cookies as gifts for holidays or homeless - teach your child the joy of giving

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 3:27 PM
  • 11 Replies

Poll

Question: Will you bake cookies as gifts for the holiday?

Options:

Will you bake cookies for your table?

Will you take your cookies to someone in need?

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 13

View Results

I am a long time cookie baking gift giver! That was a mouthful. I start baking before Halloween and try to bake at least one batch, a double or triple batch a day. Some are drop cookies, some are molded and some are cut outs.  I buy small shirt boxes (the pretty cookie containers are nice but I'm looking for an inexpensive gift and that just adds to the expense!) Kmart has great ones, by the way if you want to use them!

First you may need to brush up on your cookie baking skills. This Cookie Baking Series. will help you with getting ready, troubleshooting and baking.There are recipes and more everyday too.  Check back often, I'm adding info on ingredients, equipment, how to wrap, freeze, mail, etc. I'm also partnered with Wilton, Preparedpantry.com, King Arthur Flour and more to test and review their ingredients, so stay tuned!

Cookie gift giving guide

Preparation, baking and freezing:

• Read Cookie Baking Series to refresh yourself on types, techniques and troubleshooting cookies. 
  • Make a list of 6 to 12 cookie recipes you would like to use.
  • Make a list and purchase the ingredients needed for recipes. You may be able to save quite a bit of money by buying all ingredients at once, in bulk.
  • Always read the recipe completely before starting to make sure you understand and have everything needed.
  • Make a double or triple batch if desired, but do the math carefully, it is easy to forget to double or triple one ingredient and the whole batch could be compromised.
  • Follow the directions carefully. While cooking on top of the stove can often be accomplished without exact measuring, baking is a science and the measurements do matter. A set of measuring cups and measuring spoons are invaluable to baking of any kind.
  • Bake a test cookie. Explained in cookie troubleshooting tips.
  • ALWAYS set a timer. Don't overcook!  If your oven timer doesn't work, use a microwave timer (don't turn your microwave on when empty, use timer only, if it has that option), a cell phone alarm, an alarm clock, a cooking timer. These can be purchased most anywhere, food is sold. Most cookies are done when they just begin to brown. Overcooking is the most common mistake when baking cookies. See my Cookie troubleshooting tips.
  • Make sure to cool the cookies according to directions.
  • Allow cookies to cool completely.
  • Freeze at this point. Frostings and decorations are usually best left until cookie is ready to be given. Thaw before decorating. Freeze in zippered bags, plastic containers, etc., placing a small piece of wax paper between each cookie if possible to prevent them from sticking together.
  • If you want to decorate and/or frost before freezing, when you are finished, put the cookies on a cookie sheet in the freezer until hard. When completely frozen, remove and store in plastic containers with wax paper between them. Make sure to seperate layers before you thaw them so the icing doesn't stick to the paper.

To wrap your masterpieces in gift boxes or gift containers:

• First, I line my box with pretty, colorful tissue paper. A couple sheets will usually do.
  • Then I use cupcake papers and fill each one with adifferent type of cookies, repeating if I need to in order to fill the box.
  • I then lay a sheet of colored plastic wrap over the cookies. I follow this with a piece of parchment or wax paper.
  • I finish the look by putting another piece of Holiday theme or color tissue paper on top.
  • I either wrap the box or if it's a pretty box, I simply tape and tie with a pretty ribbon.
  • I try to go to one of the stores where everything is a dollar and buy a bunch of measuring spoons, rubber icing spreaders, wooden spoons, etc.. I tie one to each bow and put a name tag on the box.

NOTE:  Make sure not to wrap too early. Cookies are perishable according to the ingredients used. Most will last a week or so without refrigeration.

This is a perfect way for your kids to give gifts that they make themselves.

Want to teach your child(ren) the meaning of giving? Have them help you bake a few batches of cookies and take to a senior living community, nursing home, homeless shelter or children's hospital. Call before going to desired organization for their rules on food giving.

With my sincerest regards,
Linda

I'd love for you to visit and subscribe to my articles about cooking, restaurant coupons, cooking tips, techniques  and recipes at:

http://tinyurl.com/comfortfoodnash

Follow me on Twitter

Join my Facebook Fan page

by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Nov. 7, 2009 at 11:45 PM

That sounds like a really great idea on how to package your finished goodies.  Last year we did a bunch of goodies and I couldn't figure out how I wanted to package them.   I know now this year how I will do it.  Thank you again for these great tips.

LaurenM2107
by on Nov. 8, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Thank you for this...Since we don't have a lot of money this year I wanted to bake some cookies with the kids and have them give them as gifts to our family members.  This helps a lot.  I'll definitely be visiting your website!

Kaci
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2009 at 2:05 PM

This is really nice, thanks! When I used to live in an apt. years ago I would bake cookies for my neighbors whom the majority of were elderly. It really gives a person a good feeling to do this! I think that this year I will bake some for those that are with my mom in a Independent Living Home a couple hours from where I am. Also, for my mom of course. <smile>

1mamaof2girls
by on Nov. 8, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Great Idea.  Thank You!!

comfortfoodnash
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 7:45 PM

I'm so sorry for the delay in replying... I JUST figured out how to find the replies to my posts. This is the first site like this I've ever joined so I'm a little lost.

check out my latest article.... it's also a post on Cafemom... a recipe for the best peanut butter fudge you will ever eat and the simplest to make with only four ingredients. Just go to my main page at examiner... the comfort food page in my signature! Let me know if you try the fudge!

With my sincerest regards,
Linda

I'd love for you to visit and subscribe to my articles about cooking, restaurant coupons, cooking tips, techniques  and recipes at:

http://tinyurl.com/comfortfoodnash

Follow me on Twitter

Join my Facebook Fan page

glitterbelle
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Quoting LaurenM2107:

Thank you for this...Since we don't have a lot of money this year I wanted to bake some cookies with the kids and have them give them as gifts to our family members.  This helps a lot.  I'll definitely be visiting your website!

me too

auroragold
by on Nov. 22, 2009 at 7:08 AM

Thanks for the post. It's always helpful to have reminders and even some new tips! 

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Nov. 22, 2009 at 7:31 AM

I am having the kids make homeade ornaments and bringing them to a nursing home.I called and we cant bring in homemade cookies ojnly store bought so I guess we will have to buy some.

dixiecharmer
by on Nov. 22, 2009 at 7:49 PM

I will take food to our local food bank, but the cookies tend to break.

Dixiecharmer

rissa_doll
by on Nov. 22, 2009 at 7:53 PM

We give gifts of homemade goodies (cookies and candy) to family and friends and we have taken them to nursing homes but I never considred bringing goodies to the homeless, generally we just donate canned goods to the various shelters and organizations in our area.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)