Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christmas dinner............

I always cook all the traditional foods for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  My in-laws are coming down this Christmas and DH said that he wouldn't mind grilling steaks instead of turkey..etc...

What do ya'll think about that?  Granted that we live in Houston and it'll probably be 70 degrees on Christmas - so grilling is easily done.  I just don't want to feel like I've missed a little part of the holiday.  Is that just silly?

Alison

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 6:47 AM
Replies (11-16):
tretresmom
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:07 AM

I would not be able to get through the holiday's with out the traditional foods  LOL.  Can he grill steaks in addition to all the regular stuff?

ohmommamia
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:07 AM

I would feel like I was missing some of the tradition of the holidays.

scottishmommy83
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:11 AM

I would go for it but that is me.  We don't really do a traditional christmas dinner.  We normally just have something in the morning before we head off to see everyone.  And when I was growing up it was the same.  We always went to my grandma's on christmas eve and she had meat trays and veggie trays and chips was all.  In my family Thanksgiving was the big sit down dinner holiday.  But this year I have to work on Thanksgiving and on Christmas Eve and I will be there from 6 am til 7 pm. 

mommyagainat35
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Thanks ya'll!  Well we don't really like turkey too much - we love ham but my MIL hates ham so I'd have to cook both.  I'll be 6 months pregnant and DH says there is no sense in heating the new house up - we are moving in 2 weeks.... and for me to be tired 'cause I always have to do 100% of the cooking.   So I guess in a way DH is just trying to take the pressure off of me.

The more I think about it the more I'm beginning to be okay with it - with moving and then having to decorate for Christmas it might be best to have steaks, baked potatoes/sweet potatoes, corn and cresent rolls.  Easy and yummy.  I might have to do a traditional meal for New Years.

CafeMom Tickers
BabyBeans0506
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:57 PM

I say just like you can have steaks anytime, you can have turkey any time as well. LOL

You are going to have family down and are going to be cooking other things as well. So if hubby wants to help out and grill I say go for it. lol. It can save you time to talk to your relatives.

My (step) father in law comes from a Italian background. Well last year my BIL and his new wife found out that she was to be deployed right after Christmas. My (step) FIL made this Lasagna that my BIL loved and always bragged to his new wife about. Well because she never had it, and was about to deploy we all decided that we could do that for Christmas dinner instead of the regular ham. So my hubby and I brought the Garlic Toast and salad dressings, and my SIL brought salad and all the fixings. We still had a great dinner.

My point is, it wasn't the dinner that made it feel like Christmas. It was sitting around the table with everyone, and having that big dinner that only happens three times a year (Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter).

Good Luck deciding, and I hope you have a great holiday regardless of what you decide! :)

Bekah062205
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 2:25 AM

for Christmas its always been Ham or Prime Rib...anything other than that and i would totally feel like im missing something and its not the same.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)