Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christmas dinner............

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 6:47 AM
  • 16 Replies

I always cook all the traditional foods for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  My in-laws are coming down this Christmas and DH said that he wouldn't mind grilling steaks instead of turkey..etc...

What do ya'll think about that?  Granted that we live in Houston and it'll probably be 70 degrees on Christmas - so grilling is easily done.  I just don't want to feel like I've missed a little part of the holiday.  Is that just silly?

Alison

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 6:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuvMyMedic3ID
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 6:52 AM

I would feel like I am missing something...he can cook steaks another night!

backroadsmom
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:13 AM

It's turkey for Thanksgiving and ham for Christmas here. I wouldn't have it any other way.  But of course there is no set rules and I am sure many people from many places celebrate differently.

Three things will last forever— faith, hope, and love— and the greatest of these is love.   1 Corinthians 13:13 

grantsmommy23
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:13 AM

I'm not a huge turkey eater, but I still make it.  It's tradition and anything else would be wierd.  lol

auroragold
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:15 AM

Why not for this one time?

My DH is not terribly fond of turkey but puts up with it for Thanksgiving.  For Christmas, I typically make a beef rib roast.  It costs a heck of a lot more than a turkey but it's a special meal so.... 

Ibelongtojesus
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:20 AM

I would definitely feel like something was missing.  I have roast every year for Christmas.

evansmommy03
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:02 AM

We usually do Turkey for Thanksgiving and ham for Christmas.  I would still make the usual, but maybe you could do both so everyone is happy.   

LaurenM2107
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:56 AM

What do your in-laws think of that idea?  Personally, I wouldn't mind going the non-traditional route one year.  You could still have a nice sit down dinner of that's what you want, just with different foods.  That being said, you might still feel like you missed something. Last year, there was a huge family fight on Christmas Eve and Christmas dinner was called off.  My hubby tried so hard to still make it a good meal for us, but we didn't have any food in the house really (because we didn't expect to be there) and NOTHING was open so we ended up having Chinese food.  I think the only reason I felt like something was missing was because we weren't with family, but the food itself didn't really matter. 

sweetpeatexas21
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:59 AM

my family is all from san antonio so we have tamales :)

Teeshann
by Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:59 AM

so have steak and all the regular side dishes? lol. i don't know. 

bakebiscotti
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:06 AM

We have grilled strip steaks, loaded baked potatoes and salad, with pumpkin pie for dessert.  I'm no fan of turkey or ham

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN