Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Combination celebration, is it fair?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:26 PM
  • 7 Replies

This is the first year I've done this.

This year I decided to host the family thanksgiving meal at my home and combine it with celebration my 3 year old's birthday (was on the 10th). The economy being what it is I figured; kill two birds with one stone, right?

Is it fair? I've never done this for my other two (16 and 8). I'm trying to rationalize it in my head; too much was already taking place this weekend, important family members would be out of town, etc.

Have you ever done this? Or do this?

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MrsDavid
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:00 AM

He's 3, he won't remember if it is fair or not.

I'd do it just because of the additional family that will be able to celebrate with you/him. 

Stepmothering is hard, find REAL support here: 
http://www.cafemom.com/group/30383

Are you a step mother raising your step children?  http://www.cafemom.com/group/imraisingherkid

AneesasMom
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Combining celebrations isn't a bad thing.  With a huge family like mine and with us spread out throughout the country...it makes sense for us to combine our birthdays and/or holidays.  =)  We just try not to do it every year or too often as it does start to become extremely unfair to the individuals.  Every once in a while is fine.

Your 3 year old will be happy to have the family all together and as long as you give him his own birthday cake and aside some time to just focus on him as the bday boy...he's good to go and will feel super special.  =)

themountainmama
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:48 AM

My fil's bday often falls on Thanksgiving.  Its always a treat when that happens.  My daughter's bd falls the weekend of TG.  We usually have our family celebration for her on that Sunday evening, but her parties with friends the next weekend, the first weekend in December.  Parties are really hard TG weekend because everyone is out of town, has company, goes shopping, puts up the tree, etc.  That next weekend is kind of a calm before the storm of Christmas chaos.  Happy Birthday to your little guy! 

MellieAndRiley
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:54 AM

It's fine to have a family party when all the family will be there. Enjoy hosting Thanksgiving!

1Namba
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Thanks. Victoria will just love being with the family and they are so looking forward to the celebration.

A_Mom_Of_Two
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:19 AM

I don't think he will care at all, he's 3 he won't remember and the gifts will be for him anyway. It's not like combining Christmas w/his b-day, cause then he doesn't get b-day & then Christmas gifts, generally it's combined into 1 gift. We do my DS & DD b-days together, they are only 3 weeks apart although he is now 12 & she is now 8. It also makes it easier since they have Summer b-days (Aug. & Sep.) so we do a pool party. This year may be the last of that though since it will be his 13th, he's older and wants to do his first boy/girl party. That's another story LOL! But again I don't think he will even notice! Have fun with it! 

Bekah062205
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:28 AM

i guess at age 3 it should be fine...i typically like to celebrate each Holiday/Birthday on their own days...I dont know....its probably just me..Dh's birthday is 6 days after DD's birthday and i feel bad if i dont give Dh his day. What man whats to eat a Princess Castle cake on his 30th birthday ya know? lol...anyways, its up to you. If it is what works for you and your budget then go for it..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)