Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gifts Cards: Tactless or the Perfect Present?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:43 PM
  • 57 Replies

What is your view on giving gift cards? I can't give any to my dad's family because my step-mother swears that they are "thoughtless, like you couldn't put any effort into it". I, however, LOVE to get gift cards. It's money I don't have to feel bad about spending! What are your thoughts?

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heidi_val
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:48 PM

I love receiving gift cards, so does my family. Now, my inlaws on the other hand think gift cards are the devil! When we buy them stuff, they don't use it, so why not a gift card, so they can go get something  they'll actually use! 

queeniamissy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:52 PM

I give gift cards if that's what the person wants otherwise I buy a gift.  It's not thoughtless, but picking out an actual gift does take more time and effort than just grabbing a gift card.

AM-BRAT
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:58 PM

I love to RECEIVE gift cards, but almost CANNOT STAND to give them, lol. They know the EXACT amount of what I'm spending, and they don't look very awesome.

I saw someone say that once they made up a huge box with a heavy rock in it, and a bunch of tissue paper and a gift card. Hilarious! And fun!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

mommybug77
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:06 PM

We give them to our parents, SIL/BIL. We are also giving them to my 2 sisters this year. None of the couples need nor really want anything. If we did pick something out it would more than likely go to waste. I also plan on baking this year too & will give that out.

valerie0103
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:08 PM

I prefer GCs

scleblanc
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:11 PM

I guess it depends, if you stopped at walgreens on your way to give it to me, maybe thoughtless, but if you understood what I am interested in and bought a gc for a store that caters to what I like, I would love it.

PrincessZ20
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Quoting AM-BRAT:

I love to RECEIVE gift cards, but almost CANNOT STAND to give them, lol. They know the EXACT amount of what I'm spending,

I agree - I love getting them, but don't like giving them!  I don't like people knowing exactly how much I spent, but I do at least make a cute card or gift card holder to go with it :)

My stepmom is just like yours - she also thinks it's just a lazy and tacky present...but why buy something they won't like when you can let them pick it out themselves?

qtmomof2
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Oh please...ask my 15 year old about gift cards, she loves them!!! Ecspecially the Visa/Mastercard ones so she can spend them anywhere. She loves movie cards too. If you get a gift card to a store a person likes then how can it be thoughtless?

L0ve
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Quoting scleblanc:

I guess it depends, if you stopped at walgreens on your way to give it to me, maybe thoughtless, but if you understood what I am interested in and bought a gc for a store that caters to what I like, I would love it.

I agree!  How much more thoughtful can you get, if you know where someone loves to shop - and you give them money to spend there!?  If I can only afford $25 but I know there is something you have been wanting for $50 - at least I know I am contributing to something you REALLY want. **I love getting GCs too**

Mommy to Arielle, 2/17/07, Leilani, 6/15/08 and Loic, 9/10/09!

blowing bubblestoddler girlbaby boy

lalasmama2007
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:54 PM

I LOVE getting gift cards.  It's better to get a GC to a store I like then to get some lame gift that I won't use that will probably end up tossed in the closet.  At my last birthday I had mentioned to my SO that I wish my mom would have given me a GC instead of buying random stuff that I don't want or need.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)