Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where does your family spend the holidays??

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:20 PM
  • 4 Replies

I have always spent the holidays w/my parents which is always busy cause they are divorced and I have to make sure I make it to both places or they get their feelings hurt.  But now that I'm married I have a bit of a situation.  My husband is a daddy's boy like no one I've ever seen.  It is BAD. LOL  He is at his daddys beckon call and its crazy.  He told me AFTER we were married that EVERY Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day has to be spent at his daddy's house until he dies.  THEN... we can have the holidays w/my family.  I don't think it is fair but I don't wanna spend them apart either so if the kids and I don't go out of town w/him to his dad's house he will go alone and we will spend the holidays alone which sounds worse than not getting to spend them w/my family.   So we only get Thanksgiving w/his family and my mom does Christmas Eve at 6pm at my grandpas house every year so she can see everyone each year.  Unfortunately I don't get to see my dad for the holidays. 

So.. ladies where does your families go for the holidays or do you host the holidays at your house??

And how many of you think its fair about my husband HAVING to spend every year w/his dad??

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Sabella24
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:07 PM

We swap out. One year is Christmas Day with my side, Christmas Eve with his side...the next year it reverses. We also swap Thanksgiving.

momtoezzie
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:09 PM

We just do all of it. Our families only live 30 minutes from each other. If his family does anything (which they usually don't), we go to my family stuff (we do stuff way earlier than his family does) and then go do his family stuff.

Rushn311
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Swapping is the best way. Or celebrate each of those holidays but not on the designated day.

Everyone comes to my house. My mom passed away in 1995 and she always hosted, so I do it now. My dad is ill and in a nursing home, so he usually comes here...not sure this year tho. But my two brothers come here w/ their family and my SIL's parents come here as well. My one brother is Jewish now so it doesn't cause any issues...and my other brother, him and his wife celebrate Xmas Day w/ her family...so no issues here.

OH! Hubby's family...they live in CA, we are in IL. We do not have money to go there, and they don't have money to come here...so we normally come every Spring w/ our income tax money. So no issues there either.

mommybug77
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:28 PM

We celebrate DD3 birthday the Saturday before Christmas. After all of my in-laws leave I celebrate Christmas with my parents & sisters.

Thanksgiving & Christmas Eve is at MIL.

Christmas Day & New Years Day is at SIL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)