Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching toddlers to be polite when it comes to gifts

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:01 PM
  • 9 Replies

My kids are kinda rude when it comes to getting gifts.  They will ask if there are gifts for them, and then when we are done they will ask if there are more.  I realize they are almost 4 but I think they need to start being more polite.  How do you teach your children to be more polite when it comes to recieving gifts?

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
JessecaLynn
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 9:01 AM

bump 

Amyh217
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 9:10 AM

I am not very experienced and I am still learning, but I saw noone else posted. My son is five and he does the same sort of stuff. You just have to constantly remind them when they do get gifts and maybe even give them a talk before they get any gifts. I have tried this and it seems to get better. I just try to explain it to him as best as possible that gifts are not necessary and that he should always thank anyone that gives him a gift. As well, if we go to birthday parties, since he is so little he doesn't always realize that he will not get one. So I will have to explain too that he will not get a present when it is someone elses day.

I do not know if this helps you, but I am still learning too. And I really don't think there is any one set way, but yet several different htings that can work. You just need to find out what works for you. I have always been as honest with my son as possible and have always explained things in a very detailed adult like way, and thing I would simplify it as needed for him to understand.

BlueCollarMama
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 9:26 AM

We all take turns opening our gifts one at a time from youngest to oldest so they're just so excited to open theirs and see what everyone is getting that by the time they're done they don't care that there's no more to open. I'm sorry, I know this probably doesn't help you in the least.

Polly
Proud Army Wife and Mother of 5!

sunshine86912
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 9:37 AM

my kids are almost 3 and almost 2..so i really dont know..at this age...i dont give them much anyways for their birthdays they get 3-4 things and for xmas 5-7 things but because they are so little they always want to help open everyones gifts...but they have never asked for more..

SanDiegoMaxMom
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Congratulations for recognizing the need to address this and raising kids fit to live with the rest of us in society.  Teach by example and in real life situations.  Make sure that you instill in them the value of giving and being gracious recipients of gifts. 

The ONLY acceptable response when receiving a gift is......Thank you.  That's it. 

Just keep reminding them.  Use real life situations to reinforce this.  If you're at a birthday party and the child says, "Thank you," for a gift....remark how polite and gracious the child is. If grandma says, "This is the wrong item," when opening a gift, use that opportunity to explain how rude that is....how it hurts the gift giver's feelings....how grandma should have simply said, "Thank you."  Just keep talking about this...kids learn by repetition. 

You also might want to practice opening gifts at home.....Have your kids wrap up some of their stuff for each other and practice opening them with the proper response. 

Merry Christmas and GOOD LUCK!!!!!

JessecaLynn
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Thankfully they do say thank you.  It is just they need to be patient and not be greedy for more.  We do have them take turns opening gifts and they have to wait for one person to be done before they open their gifts.  However they still ask for more when they are done.  We only give them 1 gift for their birthday and they get 4-7 gifts for Christmas.  I just want them to be polite about how much they get along with being thankful for the gifts.

KRIZZ25
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 10:42 AM

WOW..THAT IS HARD TO DO WTH TODDLERS.. I TELL MY KIDS BE "GRATEFULL NOT GRETTIE". MY KIDS ARE 8 AND TWINS 4 AND WE ARE STILL TRYING. I MAKE EM TAKE IT SLOW AND INJOY  IT. I MAKE EM LOOK AT WHAT THAY GOT AND SAY THANK U FOREVERY THING.

I THANK IT TAKES  A LIFETIME TO BE GRATEFULL.

MOM TO AMAMNDA  8 YEARS OLD  KATIE,DAVIE 4 YEARS OLD  AND DOKOTA 1 YEAS OLD ( DOG) .I LIKE TO TAKE PICKS AND COOK.

FORGIVE MY SPELLING..I HAVE LD..BUT GOD LOVES ME..!!!

busy mom

MomToBeISaMom
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Most people will understand that kids are excited about gifts and will forgive a little bit of rudeness from them.  Some tips I have for you are:

1.  If you are doing a gift exchange and everyone has gifts, open the gifts one at a time from youngest to oldest.  Only open one gift at a time, and then start over with the youngest on the second gift.  That way, the kids don't have to wait too long to open their first gift, and they can either quietly play with that gift while the others open theirs, or they can watch the older kids and adults and learn from them. 

2.  Divide up the gifts you bought into separate packages so they have at least as many or more than the older guests to open.  It just gives them more to open without spoiling them.

3.  If you don't have gifts for all the kids, hold off on opening them.  My family does a few celebrations without gifts, and the kids don't even ask, because they don't know to ask.  The celebrations shouldn't all be about gifts.

4.  Practice now.  Make sure they say please and thank you at home and when you are out and about.  If they ask for things (like at the store or on the playground), make sure they are saying please and let them know they can't always have everything they want.  When they receive things, make sure they say thank you.

I hope some of these suggestions are helpful.

A_Mom_Of_Two
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 11:02 AM

There have been some occasions that my children (12 & 8) have been what I consider rude when receiving gifts.  Right before we get to where ever it is we are going, I remind them that no one has to buy them a gift, that it is done out of the goodness of their hearts, and even if it's a gift they didn't want or like, or a gift they already have they say thank you, and give big hugs and kisses to the person/persons giving the gift.  If they act inappropriate then we will donate their gifts to a needy family who will appreciate them!  These days kids are very spoiled, and I'm one of those moms who is guilty of that, but I think if your children know what is appropriate and accepting then there is nothing wrong with it & if they can't act according to the rules you set then you need to follow through with whatever punishment you set. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)