Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Pod or MP3 Player?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:36 AM
  • 30 Replies

My son is 10 and he wants one either I guess.

What is the difference and is he too young to have one? 

Thanks for your opinions!

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommybug77
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:42 AM

There is no difference. You are paying for a name brand when it comes to an ipod. I have had a couple different MP3 players & an ipod. They all did the same thing.

I would look for a decent MP3 player & call it a day.

JBIRDSLADIE
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:43 AM

I agree with the pp... go with the MP3 player.... not only are they just about the same thing but the MP3's cost much less  

mommybug77
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Quoting JBIRDSLADIE:

I agree with the pp... go with the MP3 player.... not only are they just about the same thing but the MP3's cost much less  

When I got my 1st one I actually went with an inexpensive MP3 player until I figured out what I liked best.

myfoursonsks
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:46 AM

The price is the difference.  For a 10 year old, I would definitely go with an MP3 player that is cheaper.  They all play music just fine.  You can get a really nice one between $60 and $80, especially if you watch what is one sale.  They have decent ones that would be perfect for a 10 year old ranging from around $27 - $40 online at Walmart.com.

I have been really shopping around for one for my 14 year old, so I have pretty much compared them all.  :)

mammafox

It depends on what you want to do.  If you go ipod then you are apple then you can be limited to format types that you can put on the player  and the same goes for the other larger brands.

If you want to be able to just put music on it you already have from your own cds it doesn't matter.

I got myself a creative zen w because I wanted to be able to play multiple formats of music as well as video.  I did a lot of research before I decided.

lucy23794

i'd go with a cheaper mp3. sometimes kids tend to loose or break things, and it would be better then loosing or breaking an expensvie ipod.

jcdmom
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Thanks all !

I think we will go with  a cheap MP3 player! 

mom22tumblebugs
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Sansa Fuze

Quoting mommybug77:

There is no difference. You are paying for a name brand when it comes to an ipod. I have had a couple different MP3 players & an ipod. They all did the same thing.

I would look for a decent MP3 player & call it a day.

JannaR1980
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Last year I got my son a cheap mp3 for his 7th birthday. He loved it. My husband has an iPod. He loves that. With the mp3, we couldn't put any songs on it unless they were already in mp3 format. With the iPod, we can put anything on it. It automatically converts it for us. We didn't have to buy another program to convert it. His is a 3rd generation and plays music, video, and movies. He can download from iTunes for 99 cents a song. Albums are a lot cheaper. You can also rent movies, download videos, and games. Best of all, every day, you can check the iTunes store for freebies. New artists and known artists both. They have more than songs for free, too. I had an iPod Shuffle and loved it! It only plays songs, but it was perfect, and it's a lot cheaper than most iPods. With the iPod, the price isn't just brand. It is also quality. There is a lot more offered by Apple than by generic brands. We usually buy cheap, but we wanted quality on this. It really is worth it. My husband has had his for about 2 1/2 years and never had a problem. Tommy broke his mp3 right after he got it. It was plastic and cracked. Our iPods are metal and don't break.

MommaReynolds
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:50 AM

I agree with the PPs -- go with an inexpenisve MP3 player.  Also...my parents got me my first one about 5 years ago and they made sure to buy one with basically expandable memory. Basically it was like a digital camera where you could add a memory card to add more songs to it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)