Needing some advice for outside decorations, please!!!

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2009 at 1:47 AM
  • 6 Replies

I have 3 young kids 6 yr old son, 3 yr old daughter and 17 month old son. We also have 5 outdoor cats thanks to one cat that got pregnant before we could get her fixed.

Okay so we have always decorated the inside of the house for the holidays from stockings, trees, plush characters that you can push the button for sounds etc, plus table decorations including the placemats that look like HUGE santa faces.

But my 6 yr old goes to school, learns more everyday wants to put things outside. So what is better and better investment: The lighted structures like the reindeers etc or the blow up outdoor decorations???

I figured I would do the simple wreaths with bows on the windows and lighted garland along the front porch. But what would you hang from my plant hangers????  Are there any plants that would survive a NC winter?

Just needing some ideas, cheaper the better to make a festive front yard for my boy who still believes.

Lilypie

Lilypie

Lilypie
by on Nov. 23, 2009 at 1:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
SophiaofLight
by on Nov. 23, 2009 at 2:40 AM

I really like the blow up decorations but most people don't use them here because the winters are so windy. But I think they look cool and if you don't live in a windy area they would be great and I bet your son would love them. The lighted reindeers look nice also. Have you thought about getting some of the big lighted ornaments that you can hang in the windows?  

I live in WA so not sure what would survive in NC planters. But you could always get some nice greens, cedar, pine etc and mix in some silk pointsettia flowers with them and some pinecones to give it a festive look and then put some christmas ribbons around them. Maybe even decorate the pinecones with some glitter.

Good luck to you and hope you have a wonderful Christmas. I think it's so sweet that you want to make it so nice for your little boy.

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2009 at 3:46 AM

lighted structures because air-blown the motors break and the fabric tears.  Why not just put silk poinsettias out? 

BlueCollarMama
by on Nov. 23, 2009 at 9:41 AM

We have the lighted candy canes to line our walkway and I made lollipops to put around in the yard. Just take the cheap paper plates and glue two together bottom side out with a dowel rod in between them. Then take acrylic paint in whatever color you want and paint the swirl. Then take Saran wrap and cover them gather it at the bottom with tape and tie a piece of ribbon around that.

Polly
Proud Army Wife and Mother of 5!

krazeerosie
by on Nov. 23, 2009 at 1:13 PM

BUMP!! PLEASE any ideas because these 3 ladies have given great ideas plus I like the lollipop ideas because the kids can help make them. Well the 6 yr old and 3 yr old can.

Lilypie

Lilypie

Lilypie
queeniamissy
by on Nov. 23, 2009 at 1:42 PM

If your looking for more traditional outdoor lighting try QVC.  Bethlehem Lights has alot of different things to choose from that are for the most part battery operated.  Things such as wreaths, garlands, trees in urns, and even hanging baskets!  They all come in clear or multi-colored led lights.

This is a pic of the hanging baskets.

queeniamissy
by on Nov. 23, 2009 at 1:57 PM

I just looked on QVC and they also have hanging baskets with poinsettias in them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: