Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter's first Christmas, choosing her outfit

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2009 at 7:40 AM
  • 6 Replies

I am so excited to finally have a daughter!  A month or so ago I was at Old Navy and found the cutest little dress for her for Christmas.  It's red, has a wide band with bow at the waist, which is kind of high (like empire) and then has layers of ruffles the whole way down to the bottom.  Someone had a picture of it posted in this group a while back and I tried to find it but couldn't!

Anyway, my daughter is my mom's first granddaughter (out of seven grandchildren) and the other day she asked me what I was putting on her for Christmas.  I described the dress for her and while she didn't say anything negative, the look she gave me was definitely one of disapproval.  She then went on to tell me that she saw some cute dresses while she was out shopping...  I said that was nice, but that I really liked the dress I found for her.  Well, the other day she bought one of the dresses she had seen and while it is cute, I don't find it as cute as the one I picked out.  She kind of let me know that she doesn't think the dress I picked out is practical; it's too long and she won't be able to move around.   Like that's something she would know because she raised three daughters but that I might not understand because I only have experience raising sons up till now...  I mean that's true but I'm learning!  Ugh!

So now I have two dresses and I am not sure what to put on her.  I don't want to offend my mom by not putting her in the dress she picked out, but I also really love the dress I picked out and I want her to wear it!  Any tips??

by on Nov. 23, 2009 at 7:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
heidi_val
by on Nov. 23, 2009 at 7:45 AM

Have her wear one on christmas eve and the other christmas day? Or, wear them both on christmas day, one in the morning and one in the evening? 

PollyMarie
by on Nov. 23, 2009 at 7:45 AM

Could you have your dd wear one dress on Christmas Eve and the other on Christmas Day?  I would have my dd wear the dress I chose on the day I had originally intended anyway. 

psych_mom
by on Nov. 23, 2009 at 7:50 AM

If this is her first Christmas, there is a good chance she will end up with both on her Christmas day. Children that age have a tendency to spill, spit up, and get food all over themselves, especially when wearing the prettiest clothes. I would put her in your least favorite for food time... lol.

s.t.e.p.h
by on Nov. 23, 2009 at 7:55 AM

I'm sure that one way or another, she'll wear both dresses :)

((*Steph-23 year old stay at home momma to my 3 March babies:Elijah,Brayden and Hannah.

PisceanMom
by on Nov. 23, 2009 at 8:16 AM

I was thinking of the Christmas Eve/Christmas Day thing.  Maybe if my parents do something at their house for Christmas Eve this year I'll put the dress she picked out on her for that.  We always spend Christmas Day with my parents so if they do nothing for Christmas Eve, I'll have to find a reason to wear both dresses on her at some point.

We were looking at Christmas jammies while we were out shopping the other day and I didn't make a move toward anything for my daughter because I already bought them but I'm just wondering if she won't buy a pair of those, too.  She bought my sons their first Christmas jammies...

iHEAVENn
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2009 at 1:27 PM

My momma bought my son his first offical "Christmas" outfit.

He wasn't even a month old at the time so it was just a pair of Christmas Pj's. :)

I honestly understand it... They're the grandbabies.. in some way that makes them special to the grandparents.. and the first Christmas is really big to them..

If you're going to your mom's on Christmas eve.. you should put your daughter in the dress your mom bought...

Or if you're going on Christmas day, you should have her arrive in your mom's dress... then if she dirties it put her in the other one?

But don't have a scheduled dress change... that may make your momma feel unappreciated..

best of luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN