Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Keep Sake Ornaments

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2009 at 3:49 PM
  • 14 Replies

We're really big on having every ornament on our tree being special in some way. Each child has their "Baby's 1st Christmas" ornaments, my DH and I get an ornament with the year printed on it every single year. And we generally make an ornament each year. This year we're continuing the tradition by purchasing ornaments from St. Jude's Childrens Hospital.

Anyone else use only significant ornaments? Or do you prefer a theme of some sort?

by on Dec. 9, 2009 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kat4rgod
by on Dec. 9, 2009 at 3:57 PM

We have some ornaments that don't have an special meaning but for the most part they do. You can look at our tree and see the story of our lives the different family members that have passed and the different stages of our children and grandchildren. 

santa greenKat

NicoleKelly
by on Dec. 9, 2009 at 4:00 PM

I love ornaments!!!!  I just bought my good friend the washing machine from Hallmark...it is too cute.  I also just bought myself a mini Starbucks coffee cup & I have ones like you mentioned for my sons 1st Christmas & my DH & my first Christmas married...stuff like that.

JessecaLynn
by on Dec. 9, 2009 at 4:02 PM

We got a bunch of baby's first ornaments and I have saved them for each of the kids.  Since then, they get to pick out 1 ornament from Hallmark that is their ornament.  I let them pick out whatever one they like, so they have ended up picking what interests them the most at that time in their life. :)  I plan to continue to do it until their 18th birthday, then when they get married I will give them their box of ornaments. 

iHEAVENn
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2009 at 1:38 AM

We use both.. My son gets an ornament every year.. They're from hallmark and they have a little teddy bear with a number..

I think it stops at 5 years though.. which at that point we'll get him something else to keep it going :)

-:Logan Jacob:-

-:December 1st 2007:-

-:7 Pounds 4 Ounces:- 

-:My Everything:- 

toyota
by on Dec. 10, 2009 at 6:05 AM

My ornaments is movie and cartoon characters that the family is all into. I have Sesame Street, Ninja Turtles, Monster Trucks, Rudolph, Santa Claus is coming to town, Frosty the Snowman, A Christmas Story, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Dora, Scooby Doo, Superman, spiderman, High School Musical, Rug Rats, Elmo. I have all the characters the kids and grandkids has ever liked. Each year i add whatever character the kidsa re into at the time. This year i added the High School Musical.

//tickers.myfitnesspal.com/ticker/show/21/206/210206.png[/img][/url]
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - [url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com]Free Food Diary[/url]

candis06
by on Dec. 10, 2009 at 7:45 AM

I was just thinking about that this morning lol. my DS has one for his first christmas and his second christmas, my DH andi have one for our first christmas together, and this weekend we are going up to the mall to get a 3rd christmas for my oldest DS and a first christmas for my youngest DS. i have really nice balls that go on the tree but i cant wait for it to be filledup with the ones they do in school and make every year!

coridunn
by on Dec. 10, 2009 at 8:28 AM

Each year we make keepsakes with our kids.  Last year it was their handprints,the year before we made ornaments from the clear glass ornaments,  this year it will be gingerbread ornaments with their names on them and so on.  This is a wonderful tradition that hopefully our kids will pass down to their kids.

Cafe Jenn
by Head Admin on Dec. 10, 2009 at 8:53 AM

My Gram would get us each a new Hallmark ornament each year and I've continued that tradition with my kids.  I let them pick out the one that they want.  I usually pick up one or two after Christmas for both of them too.  I also try to get my husband one, too.

We have so many ornaments that are sentimental that I had to get another tree just for my pretty blue/silver ones.  I'm hoping to find a deal on a white tree after Christmas so we don't have to buy a real one for those ornaments each year.

JoysMom
by on Dec. 11, 2009 at 8:33 AM

my Dad's parents gave us one of the gold ornaments that you engrave every year with our name and the year on it. I have all of those. My Mom is getting or making something with my daughter's name on it every year (her name is Joy). I am getting her an ornament with her name and year too. She has a little tree in her room and it's already got allot of Joy ornaments on it way more than her 3 years of life! It's fun and she loves it!

rissa_doll
by on Dec. 11, 2009 at 8:55 AM

We have basic sparkly ornaments to fill out the tree but many of our ornaments are special. Hubbys parents gave him a new ornament every year so those cover our tree, plus a few from my childhood and then our kids get a new one each year as well. We mark each ornament with the year because when they are grown they will get their ornaments for their own family tree.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)