Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My second gripe about real trees

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:51 AM
  • 9 Replies

The first one is the mess lol.....But geesh is it just me or does it seem like they cut down 300 tress, and a good 200 are left on the lot after Christmas?

What a waste of a beautiful tree:(

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Honeybun09
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:53 AM

I don't know for sure, but I would hope that they do something with them, like chop them for firewood or something.

I am a US citizen, formula feeding but will breastfeed until child self weans next time, co-sleeping for at least 6 months, extended rear facing and harnessing to the maximum, God loving and fearing, spanking as a last resort believing, anti-CIO until age 1, learning to cook, disposable diapering but will cloth diaper next time, health care is a human right believing, part-time working opposite of husband's full-time shifts to not use daycare, trying to recycle more mommy to one beautiful mixed baby girl!  My husband is a legal Mexican United States citizen, who is the most amazing man, husband, and father.

XxLadyLuck29xX
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:55 AM

I would assume the tree farms would chop them up for wood.

Our family always loaded up all the trees we could find and we took them out camping on new years and burned them. It was like a tradition.

skylarcheyenne
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:23 PM

I know in our area there is a lake that gets drained in the winter and after Christmas they collect pine trees and make a habitat for the fish.

wreathsanta green

Cafe Jenn
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Many places also chip them for low cost or free mulch for their town residents or to use around town in the town flower beds.

As for the mess, I seem to have less mess with a real tree than with an artificial one.

I love the smell of my real one too.

maggie13
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:10 PM

The Christmas Farm down the road from us usually cuts down the trees since the rows are often scattered from people cutting them. They have donated some of the trees to local charities for Christmas. The other trees get mulched and used at their farm. They have cut the trees and sold the wood for burning too.

I love the smell of real Christmas Trees. I put a plastic garbage bag under the tree to gather the needles and to catch spills when watering. I have one of those dirty buster things to pick up the needles too. I do not care after the presents start to go under the tree because they hide them.

Bekah062205
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:37 PM

we got our tree today from walmart and there were only like 6 left.. I was happy to see that. i know what you mean about all the left over trees....im sure they would make them into yummy smelling fire wood!!

infinitydld
by on Dec. 16, 2009 at 1:27 AM

We tried the real tree but yes it is a mess and it really hurts to put ornaments on! Ouch! I do like the smell and they are really pretty, but I decided to go with the easy care especially with the kids who like to help decorate.  Don't wanna torture my kids with needle pricks.  I know that there are several charities that deal with the trees and you can even donate your tree after christmas to be used for many things.

backroadsmom
by on Dec. 16, 2009 at 6:16 AM

I have to agree. I've wondered about all that too. The best real tree to buy is a potted one, so that you can replant. Unfortunately they are expensive. The love of money ruins everything don't it!?

summerdayz
by on Dec. 16, 2009 at 6:50 AM

I love the smell of a real tree too, but we haven't had a real one since 1997. There was such a mess from it, so the next year I went to Sears and bought an artifical tree.

It always bothers me when I see tons of trees left over in the lots .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)