Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I left a comment in the "$500 Gift Card" post, but I'm not sure everyone would see it, and I know all of you ladies have been waiting and waiting for news on this.

I received word, about 2 hours ago (give or take) that I had won the $500 gift card! I just sat here and cried for like 15 minutes! lol

As I said in the other post, this could NOT have come at a better time for me! I've been completely unemployed for 4 months, with NO income at all...if it wasn't for friends and family, I wouldn't have a roof over my head or food to eat.  My car is LITERALLY falling apart. The muffler fell off 2 weeks ago, but I can't afford to get it fixed. I got a flat a few days ago but I had to replace it with one of my old BALD tires because I cant afford to replace it. I even had to let my car ins. lapse! Thank GOD my new job is only 1.5 miles away!!

My kids are older and I already told them that gifts would be VERY scarce this year.

Unfortunately, I know a LOT of you other Mammas are in pretty much the same boat as me, and for that...I am SOOOOO sorry that there isn't more than one Grand Prize.  I literally feel guilty as sin and totally ECSTATIC at the same time!!! LOL

Thank you again. CafeMom and K-Mart!! You've made one mamma so VERY happy this holiday season!!!

by on Dec. 16, 2009 at 7:36 PM
Replies (71-80):
bergencounty
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2009 at 12:30 PM

You  just had to go down and apply [need your social security card], then you call in and they mail you checks  .. . http://www.afausairways.org/PHL/pa_unemployment.html .

You would have also qualified for LIHEAP  and job training while collecting unemployment. 

[ LIHEAP is a federally funded program in Pennsylvania that provides assistance to eligible households to pay their home heating bills. Through this program, customers may be able to receive help this heating season with home heating costs. Crisis grants are available for customers experiencing emergency situations or who have received a shut-off notice. Any customer who has received a shut-off notice should apply for a crisis grant immediately. Customers can apply for LIHEAP through their County Assistance Office. Customers are encouraged to pursue assistance from LIHEAP before the program closes. For more information on LIHEAP grants, call National Fuel at 1-800-365-3234. ]

[1. How do I get a form for direct deposit of my unemployment benefits?

Click the following link to access our Direct Deposit of UC Benefits page.

2. How do I request to receive my benefits by debit card?

You do not need to sign up to receive your payments via debit card. If you do not have direct deposit, a debit card will be mailed to you automatically after you have been determined financially eligible for benefits.

3. How can I locate my local unemployment compensation office?

Unemployment compensation (UC) services are provided by telephone through regional call centers and online. You may call the UC Service Center at 1-888-313-7284. A listing of local phone numbers, mailing addresses and fax numbers for the UC Service Centers is available from the Department of Labor & Industry home page by selecting your local area on the state map. Select your county from the listing and scroll down to: UC Benefit Services.

4. How can I estimate my weekly benefit rate for unemployment compensation?

To estimate your weekly benefit rate, go to Calculating the Weekly Benefit Rate, then select "next" for the Rate and Amount of Benefits Table . There is also a separate page that explains the Partial Benefit Credit.

UC eligibility cannot be predetermined. Your eligibility will be based on the information provided by you and your employer(s) after you have filed your claim.

5. What should I do if I receive a UC Payment for a week that I am working?

If you believe that a benefit payment was issued to you improperly or in the wrong amount, contact the UC office immediately.

6. If I run out of unemployment compensation benefits, would I qualify for extended benefits?

On June 30, 2008, President Bush signed a federal extension of UC benefits – Emergency Unemployment Compensation, or EUC, and the program began paying benefits to eligible workers beginning with the week ending July 12, 2008. You may not begin to receive EUC later than the week ending December 26, 2009. The last week of EUC that can be paid is the week ending June 5, 2010.

Please click here for more information about EUC

Extended Benefits, or EB, are additional weeks of unemployment compensation payable to qualified workers when certain adverse economic conditions exist in Pennsylvania. On February 21, 2009, a state EB period triggered on in Pennsylvania. Up to 13 weeks of EB are payable to qualified individuals only after exhausting all rights to regular benefits under the Pennsylvania UC Law, the UC law of any other state, and federal EUC. EB are only payable during an EB period.

The Pennsylvania UC Law was recently amended to increase the maximum amount of EB a claimant may receive if Pennsylvania enters a “high unemployment period,” or HUP. A HUP occurs when Pennsylvania’s total unemployment rate reaches 8 percent. Pennsylvania’s total unemployment rate has risen to the level necessary to create a HUP.

As a result of the HUP, if you were financially eligible for 13 weeks of regular EB, your financial eligibility is increased to 20 weeks. If you were financially eligible for 8 weeks of regular EB, your financial eligibility is increased to 12.8 weeks.

This increased amount of EB, called HUP EB, applies only to weeks within the HUP. The first week for which HUP EB may be paid is the week ending August 8, 2009, and the last week for which HUP EB may be paid is the week ending January 2, 2010. As of January 2, 2010, any remaining unused balance of HUP EB financial eligibility expires.

Claims for HUP EB are filed in the same way as claims for regular EB.

Please click here for more information about EB.

Pennsylvania CareerLink® offers a wide variety of employment and training services across the Commonwealth. You can avail yourself of Pennsylvania CareerLink® services online at http://www.cafemom.com/RedirectLANDI.asp?u=https://www.cwds.state.pa.us.

7. What should I do if I’m unable to get through to the UC Service Center via telephone?

Each UC Service Center is open from 7 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and Sundays 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Mondays are traditionally a heavy call day. Customers who wish to apply or claim UC benefits are encouraged to file online, or call the UC Service Center later in the day and later in the week, if possible, when call volume is lighter.

8. Am I eligible for unemployment benefits?

The Pennsylvania UC Law establishes various requirements for eligibility for UC benefits. Among them are the following:

You must have sufficient qualifying wages and a minimum of 16 credit weeks in your base year.

You must have a qualifying separation. And, you must be able and available to accept suitable work and not refuse work when offered.

UC eligibility cannot be predetermined. Your eligibility will be based on the information provided by you and your employer(s) after you file an Application for Benefits.

You may access general information on UC from our web site by selecting Unemployment Compensation; and for information on your financial eligibility by selecting Benefits - Potential Eligibility. For an online application to apply for benefits select Applying for UC Benefits.

9. I was told by my employer that I may be furloughed or laid off intermittently during the next several months. Am I eligible for unemployment benefits?

To be eligible for UC benefits, you must meet certain requirements, including the following: First, you must have sufficient wages in the base year. The base year is the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters preceding the application for benefits. Second, you must have been unemployed through no fault of your own. Generally, the reason for your separation from employment will determine whether this requirement is met. This decision is based on the information you supply when you file your application for benefits and information collected from your former employer. Third, you must maintain eligibility on a week-to-week basis. For example, you must be able and available for work.

If your hours of work have been reduced or you otherwise continue to work less than your normal full-time work week, you may be eligible for partial benefits.

10. Because my layoffs may be intermittent or sporadic, how do I apply for unemployment during this time?

You may file an initial application for UC benefits online or by contacting the UC Service Center at 1-888-313-7284. Thereafter, you should file biweekly claims for UC benefits as instructed. If you stop filing biweekly claims, your claim will become inactive. If you should be laid off again, you will need to re-open your claim.

11. May I collect UC benefits while attending school?

The PA UC Law does not disqualify you for benefits simply because you are a full or part-time student. Additionally, you will not be ineligible for any claim week that you are in training approved by the Secretary of the Department of Labor & Industry and are otherwise eligible.

You may not be eligible for UC Benefits if you quit your job to enroll in an academic credit training program.

There is no requirement that you must be available for full-time or permanent work. Your work history can be full-time, part-time, or seasonal. However, you must not refuse suitable work when offered. You may also be ineligible if you refuse a referral to a job opportunity. See Weekly Eligibility.

A claimant is ineligible if a claimant's limitation on availability for employment effectively removes the claimant from the local labor market. For you to be ruled ineligible, it must be because the particular limitation on your availability is such that a search for employment in the local labor market would have an unreasonable low possibility of success. For example, a claimant must be able and available for the majority of the workweek.

You may also be ineligible for benefits if you fail to participate in reemployment services to which you have been referred through the claimant profiling system. You may also be ineligible for benefits if you fail to be available to be contacted by the UC Service Center when instructed to do so. It is your responsibility to inform the UC Service Center when you are unavailable for scheduled services. When you know that you will be unavailable to be contacted at the scheduled time, call the UC Service Center immediately. See Maintaining Eligibility .

12. Does unemployment compensation pay for job training or retraining while claiming unemployment compensation benefits?

Unemployment compensation (UC) does not pay training costs or tuition. Training opportunities may be available through Pennsylvania’s CareerLink® system. You may visit their Web site at http://www.cafemom.com/RedirectLANDI.asp?u=https://www.cwds.state.pa.us.

In addition, the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) offers a variety of special programs, state grants and educational loans to help individuals access higher education. If you are interested in learning more about these programs, you may visit PHEAA's Web site at http://www.pheaa.org/.

A federally funded program, the Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) Program, does cover certain workers. The TAA Program provides for training and other benefits (including continuing unemployment benefits while in approved training) for workers whose jobs were affected by imports or job relocation to other countries. In order to be eligible for this program, workers must be laid off from a company that has a certified petition with the United States Department of Labor. You can check to see if a petition has been filed and/or certified on the U.S. Department of Labor's Web site at http://www.cafemom.com/RedirectLANDI.asp?u=http://www.doleta.gov/tradeact.

13. Who can help me search for the right employment or training program and help me pay for it?

Funded training may be available to you through the Workforce Investment Act. You may seek such training through the Pennsylvania CareerLink® system of employment and training services in Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania CareerLink® can be a tremendous asset in achieving your employment goals. Pennsylvania CareerLink® offers a wide variety of employment and training services across the commonwealth. As a customer, you have the choice of doing your own employment search or getting the assistance of trained staff to aid you in your search. With Pennsylvania CareerLink®, you can make your resume available to thousands of employers while searching the extensive job listings. You can also gather valuable information on educational, training or rehabilitative services that may be available to you. You can access Pennsylvania CareerLink® services by visiting the nearest Pennsylvania CareerLink® office or online at http://www.cafemom.com/RedirectLANDI.asp?u=https://www.cwds.state.pa.us

In addition, the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency, or PHEAA, offers a variety of special programs, state grants and educational loans to help individuals access higher education. If you are interested in learning more about these programs, you may visit PHEAA's Web site at http://www.cafemom.com/RedirectLANDI.asp?u=http://www.pheaa.org.

14. I am a Pennsylvania resident laid off from a job in another state, where should I file a claim for unemployment benefits?

Generally, first you should identify the state, or states, where you worked and were paid wages during your base year.

If you have earned wages in only one state during your base year period, you should file for unemployment compensation (UC) with the state where you worked. If you have earned wages in more than one state during your base year period, you must file a Combined Wage Claim (CWC) by contacting one of the states where you worked and were paid wages during your base year.

For a link to other states' unemployment services, click here: http://www.cafemom.com/RedirectLANDI.asp?u=http://atlas.doleta.gov/map.asp.
If you need assistance in determining the state where you should file your UC claim, you should contact the UC Service Center by phone at 1-888-313-7284.

15. I was laid off last month and didn't file an Application for Benefits right away. Can I get paid for those weeks?

An Application for Benefits  is effective the Sunday that begins the week in which you apply for benefits. The effective date of your Application for Benefits determines your base year and your benefit year.

An application for benefits may be backdated in only a very limited number of circumstances. If you have not already done so, please contact the UC Service Center to file an Application for Benefits and provide them the necessary information to make a determination on the missed weeks.

Claims for unemployment benefits in Pennsylvania are based on a calendar week; that is, from Sunday through Saturday. The extent of your unemployment, your earnings and your eligibility status during each claim week determines whether you are eligible for benefits for that week and the amount of benefits payable to you.

Generally, claims for unemployment benefits are filed on a biweekly basis. You will file your biweekly claim when both of the weeks you are filing for have ended. Your biweekly claim must be filed during the Sunday through Friday period of the week immediately following the two weeks you are claiming.

The first time for you to file your biweekly claim is when the second week on your claim has ended. You will file your biweekly claim for the first and second weeks of your claim during the third week of your claim.

You may continue receiving UC Benefits until you have received your maximum benefit amount or until your benefit ends as long as you continue to meet all eligibility requirements of the Pennsylvania UC Law.

16. How can I view, print, or download the PDF of the PA Unemployment Compensation Handbook (UCP-1)?

Click here to access the PA Unemployment Compensation Handbook (UCP-1)

17. I don’t have regular Internet access. How can I request a printed copy of the PA UC Handbook?

You can request a printed copy of the PA UC Handbook by calling the UC Service Center toll free at 1-888-313-7284, Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. and Sundays 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

18. What is the PREP program and why must I attend?

The Profile ReEmployment Program (PREP) is Pennsylvania’s version of the federally mandated Worker Profiling and Re-employment Service system. PREP is designed to identify claimants who are most likely to exhaust unemployment compensation (UC) benefits and may need assistance to find a new job.

You may be ineligible for benefits for any week in which you fail to participate in re-employment services to which you have been referred through PREP. If selected, you must participate in this mandatory program unless there is justifiable reason for your failure to participate. If you receive a letter to attend a PREP orientation and you are not able to do so, you must call the PA CareerLink® office shown on the letter to discuss your availability. ]

Quoting BeanieBlue:

But I'm not unemployed anymore. I started work this past Tuesday, making $7.25 an hour working an an Exxon Gad Station/Mini-Mart. Hey...it's a job! lol

But thanks for the info! Er...exactly how does one PROVE to someone that they're unemployed??? I never got Unemployment benefits...... 

Mena929
by on Dec. 18, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Congratulations!

ddran143
by on Dec. 18, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Im so glad you won it! Its always nice to see a gift being given to a person that REALLY needs it.Its nice to think about the expression on your kids face on christmas day when they open their presents.This is the true meaning of christmas and I pray that you and your family have a wonderful and blessed christmas and Happy new year.

JamiDesigns
by on Dec. 18, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Congrats! Maybe you can use some of that money to put towards helping your situation with your car or something. Good luck!

**The above graphic is copyright of JamiDesigns! **

jessnsamimom
by on Dec. 18, 2009 at 6:56 PM

that is great! I really hope it helps you out. 

supermeof3
by on Dec. 18, 2009 at 7:03 PM

That is so awesome!   Yes, I'm sure alot of Momma's could have used it this year, but please do not feel any quilt!  Enjoy it!!!   :)     I'm truly happy for you :)

Happy Holidays!!!!

twinsin1998
by on Dec. 18, 2009 at 10:35 PM
Congrats and good luck in the coming year.

Momoftwinsin98

BeanieBlue
by on Dec. 19, 2009 at 8:55 AM

To BergenCounty:

I did APPLY for unemployment, but was rejected due to a loop hole I knew nothing about.  They are VERY 'money hungry' where I used to work and they wont give their employees ANYTHING that they dont HAVE TO.  Trust me...they know ALL the ins and outs of the system!

Thanks for all that info though. It was really sweet of you :)

Oh, and in my current living situation, I wouldn't qualify for LiHeap. It's my roomie's house. I just give her money every month to help with the bills. She's been AMAZING through all of this!

momof3angela
by on Dec. 19, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Well congratulations girl.....Merry Christmasholding gifts 

single_and_preg
by on Dec. 19, 2009 at 9:14 AM

Wow great. Im glad to here you got it.

Join us on:

The Single Moms Group

Group Mod

*Single Mother's* Please click above to join this CafeMom Group!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN