Dilemma about Christmas and Thanksgiving meals

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 9:40 AM
  • 10 Replies

My mother had one meal that she fixed for Thanksgiving and Christmas-  Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, green beans, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce. So this is what I think of when I think of cooking for Christmas and Thanksgiving.  And I like the food, but it really is two of exactly the same meal in a month's time. This year I had ham along with the turkey for Thanksgiving, and lasagna along with the turkey at Christmas.

My dilemma is that I like the turkey meal and think that I would miss it if I didn't fix it, yet it seems repetitious since the holidays are so close. Do any of you have this concern and if so, how do you handle it?

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrazedMomof2
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:05 PM

We pretty much eat the same things at both meals. I love it so it doesnt bother me LOL

*Sandra* Mom of 2
*Ask me about my custom made breastfeeding covers!!!*

single_and_preg
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:56 PM

no usually thanksgiving is Turkey....Christmas is either Ham, pot-roast, or a fancy seafood.

bether89
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 1:22 PM

We usually have turkey for Thanksgiving and Ham for Christmas, but the side dishes are different at each holiday.

single_and_preg
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 3:06 PM

I always have trouble thinking of side orders, besided mashed potatoes and a veggie

Quoting bether89:

We usually have turkey for Thanksgiving and Ham for Christmas, but the side dishes are different at each holiday.

lizmarie1975
by Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 3:21 PM

My dilemma is that I would love to make a ham or pork loin during Christmas but my SO doesn't eat pork so it would be pointless to make it.  This past Thanksgiving I just made some turkey legs and my SO's mother brought over some cornish hens.  For Christmas, I made pot roast.

stormcris
by Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 6:14 PM

I have the exact same thing for Thanksgiving and Christmas and Easter. We only have it three times a year so I have no concerns about repetition and its a treat because I go all out. About 7 days later they are completely tired of it lol.

Bmat
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Quoting single_and_preg:

I always have trouble thinking of side orders, besided mashed potatoes and a veggie

Quoting bether89:

Rice makes a nice side instead of potatoes. You can put gravy over plain rice, for example, or make a flavored rice.  How about a potato salad or mac salad.

Bmat
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Quoting stormcris:

I have the exact same thing for Thanksgiving and Christmas and Easter. We only have it three times a year so I have no concerns about repetition and its a treat because I go all out. About 7 days later they are completely tired of it lol.

LOL!  This is part of my problem with Turkey for both meals. We have turkey leftovers for the following weeks both times. That's a lot of turkey and dressing for a 5 week period.  I end up putting a lot in the freezer.

tazmidgiefairy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2010 at 6:34 AM

thanksgiving we have turkey and christmas is ham the sides sometime change like one will have mac and cheese instead of potatoes

Free IconsFamily BlinkiesSports BlinkiesFree SmileysFamily BlinkiesBlinkies Blinkies
AM-BRAT
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2010 at 10:49 AM

I haven't gotten to cook for either yet, but I understand the concern.

I think some people had it dead on when they said turkey for thanksgiving, and ham for x-mas...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: