Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you deal with feuding guests when hosting a party?

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2010 at 6:14 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hosting a party is stressful enough...but to deal with family or friends that don't get along...tell us your stories!

by on Jan. 24, 2010 at 6:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
single_and_preg
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 3:09 PM

i never had that issue, but i would be mad or upset if that happened

AM-BRAT
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Hate to say it but *I'M* the one harboring shit with my IL's. If anyone were gonna fight, it'd be me...

DalesLgndLvsOn3
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 11:07 AM

When I KNOW there will be tension, I just let everyone know in advance that if things get out of hand they will never be welcome in our home again.  My suggestion to them is to not even look at the person they have an issue with.  I've only had one instance where that suggestion didn't work and well, neither person has ever been invited to our home again. 

TempestRayne
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 12:18 PM

If it is just evil looks, i privately tell both of them to be nice and ignore eachother.  If it escalates, I tell them both to leave. There is no reason for it to make my  other guests uncomfortable.

Bmat
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 1:26 PM

I've had guests that  didn't get along, but thank goodness they were civil to one another while they were here.

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

single_and_preg
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 4:15 PM

yeah thats how it is for me,i usually tell them ahead of time to please not start anything.

Quoting Bmat:

I've had guests that  didn't get along, but thank goodness they were civil to one another while they were here.

MrsDavid
by on Jan. 28, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Quoting Bmat:

Me too.  My MIL was staying with us and my DH's former ILs came over to see the kids.  MIL and DH's former ILs hate each other with a passion.

It's the only time I have ever seen my MIL have self control and keep her mouth shut.

"Who can protest and does not is an accomplice in the act" Talmud 

My disability is invisible....what's your excuse?  http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/ 

Bmat
by on Jan. 28, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Quoting MrsDavid:

Quoting Bmat:

Me too.  My MIL was staying with us and my DH's former ILs came over to see the kids.  MIL and DH's former ILs hate each other with a passion.

It's the only time I have ever seen my MIL have self control and keep her mouth shut.

Impressive! Not everyone would be so well-behaved. :)

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

bhwrn1
by on Jan. 28, 2010 at 10:57 AM

I haven't had this issue, thank goodness. I am not sure what I would do. I would probably approach them and let them know that they are making me uncomfortable and if they don't stop I would have to ask them to leave, or at least stay far away from each other!

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

bhwrn1
by on Jan. 28, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Yes, I have had this, too. DH's mom divorced his dad when DH was 13. Long story, but DH's father's side of the family does not like DH's mother. In any case, we do have funcitons where they are both invited and they are civil to each other, thank goodness.

Quoting Bmat:

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN