Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need ideas!

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2010 at 12:05 PM
  • 16 Replies

I received my $50 gift card to spruce up my yard for Spring. My front yard is not the safest place, the grass is high with a cement type sidewalk around it, then it drops to the cement. Squirrels also like to bury their nuts in our yard, lol, so it's all bumpy. They play on the cement on this side if they are playing with chalk. This is the house I grew up in and my grandfather (who used to live in the Apt I live in now, I am in a 3 family, my dad is on the second floor and is my landlord) had a couple gardens over there. Most of them are still growing and there, but there are these little cement things by the fence that he had flowers in that have since died. I am going to buy some seeds and what not so my 4 yr old and I can plant some flowers of our own for her to take care of.  What are some good flowers that can be planted between April and May?

This is that area

My back yard is where the kids play more. There is not much to it. Unfortunately over the years it is slowly sinking down into the parking lot behind it. This is the area the kids go in the kiddie pool or just play in the sprinkler. I have no clue, I was thinking of getting them a slide and picnic table, but then I saw some little swing sets that were around $150. I don't live in the best neighborhood so a picnic table and slide will have to be able to fold up so I can bring it in at night, or I will have to chain it up so no one can steal it.  A swing set on the other hand can not be easily stolen and the people who live on the 3rd floor have a 15 month old grandson that they have 2 days a week who can also benefit from it. I just really don't know if this is enough space for one and how my dad is going to feel about it taking up all the space back there. It will make it hard to cut the grass. lol

This is the view standing on the porch, you can see where the fence to the left and ground is falling into the parking lot. The little bit of grass before the fence leads to the driveway. That fence was not there before, my dad, husband, and brother put it up so there would be a barricade from the driveway/street when the kids played out there.

That gate opens up because my brother would occasionally need to put his other car back there.

My kids (the girls in the pink bathing suits) and their friends playing back there on Wednesday. With the kids in there, it kind of shows the amount of space I have to work with.

What are some other idea's I can use for this space, preferably for the kids.

HERE IS THE LINK TO WHAT I PURCHASED... ASSIGNMENT #2  http://www.cafemom.com/group/107447/forums/read/11235700/I_went_to_KMART_today_w_my_50_Gift_Card

by on Apr. 9, 2010 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meam4444
by on Apr. 9, 2010 at 12:29 PM

As far as flowers, I don't have a green thumb, so I am no advice there.  But, have you thought about a sand box for the kids?

SanDiegoMaxMom
by on Apr. 9, 2010 at 12:57 PM

FLowers for your front....morning glories and sunflowers are my vote :-)

TempestRayne
by on Apr. 9, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Quoting SanDiegoMaxMom:

Cafe Jenn
by on Apr. 9, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Morning glories would look great there but I'm not sure you'd want to do those with your kids.  The seeds can cause diarrhea, which could be severe in little ones.  Sunflowers would be awesome and you could start them now, one in each hole and you can get several different kinds that would vary in height.

I don't think I would do a swingset.  That would take up a huge chunk of your backyard.  A small picnic table would be cute or as SanDiegoMaxMom said a sand box.  You could even do several game type toys, like golf and wiffle ball.

Bmat
by on Apr. 9, 2010 at 2:56 PM
Petunias are easy and spread a bit, so they would cover up that cement block area.
single_and_preg
by on Apr. 9, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Quoting Cafe Jenn:

Morning glories would look great there but I'm not sure you'd want to do those with your kids.  The seeds can cause diarrhea, which could be severe in little ones. 

Wow i never knew that!

AM-BRAT
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Quoting SanDiegoMaxMom:

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

AM-BRAT
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Quoting meam4444:

As far as flowers, I don't have a green thumb, so I am no advice there.  But, have you thought about a sand box for the kids?

AM-BRAT
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Quoting single_and_preg:

Quoting Cafe Jenn:

Morning glories would look great there but I'm not sure you'd want to do those with your kids.  The seeds can cause diarrhea, which could be severe in little ones. 

Wow i never knew that!

WHOOPS I didn't either!

AM-BRAT
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Maybe some kind of vine that would climb up the fence?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN