Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please Help. I am Moving Cross-Country

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:47 PM
  • 11 Replies

What do I need move from Michigan to Texas? I ahve only ever lived in Lansing Mi so I have no Idea what it takes to move 20 hrs away!!

by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lightoftheworld
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Where in Texas are you moving?  I am moving to Houston next week, so excited!!!  Moving cross country is a big organizational challange...

do you have jobs?

do you have a way to move your stuff?  Uhaul? 

Will you be driving or flying?  Can one of you drive a Uhaul while the other flies with the kids?

Are you familiar with the area you will be moving to?  Have you found a house/apartment?

Do you have enough money to move?  So far we have spent about $8K in moving expenses and the bills keep coming in!!  MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BUDGET WITH WIGGLE ROOM!!!

If you want to chat, message me!

maggie13
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:28 PM

You can get information about the town in Texas with the help of Chamber of Commerce. There are a few of them on line now.

Real-estate agencies have a lot of information as well like, shopping centers, schools, churches, and other important listings.

Also it may sound a little old fashion but look up "The Welcome Wagon" and you can get some information from them.

The biggest thing is when you are packing up the household, make a box or two that have things you can get too or even carry in your car if you are driving. It should be with some towels, sheets, pillows, blankets, paper goods like bath tissue, paper towels, plates, napkins, and cups, trash bags, box snacks like bars and things, flash-lights, plastic flatware, handy-wipes, and even a portable cooler (you can use it on the trip or put your stuff in it) they come in handy if you have no fridge for a little while. Remember to make a small bag of soap, shampoo, tooth paste and tooth brushes. A small bag of pet supplies is good to carry as well if you have pets. We also made sure we had a first-aid kit too...you know bandages, neosporan, alcohol wipes, gauze, and tape.

Best of luck! Were are you headed?

Bmat
by on May. 3, 2010 at 7:56 AM

What some friends of ours did when they made a cross country move was to sell everythng. They didn't take any furniture or household items. It made a much simpler move.

TempestRayne
by on May. 3, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Quoting Bmat:

What some friends of ours did when they made a cross country move was to sell everythng. They didn't take any furniture or household items. It made a much simpler move.

this is a good idea. plus you can save a lot of money in shipping.  if you save up and budget properly, you can buy new (ish) stuff when you get there.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
jrp0606
by on May. 3, 2010 at 10:04 AM

be ruthless in going through your things - and do a big YARD SALE then donate the rest of what you don't want.

and I mean be RUTHLESS

if you haven't used it in a year get rid of - if you need it again in the future they have stores in TX too.

planning in advance is a BIG key

i usually pick a room and pack it up completely then move to the next room.

pack essential stuff you will want right away in a easily labled box - toilet paper, scissors, medication, bottle opener.

there is nothing worst than getting to your knew home - sitting down to have a bottle of beer after a long day of work and realizing that the bottle opener is in one of THOSE boxes.

maggie13
by on May. 3, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Quoting jrp0606:

be ruthless in going through your things - and do a big YARD SALE then donate the rest of what you don't want.

and I mean be RUTHLESS

if you haven't used it in a year get rid of - if you need it again in the future they have stores in TX too.

planning in advance is a BIG key

i usually pick a room and pack it up completely then move to the next room.

pack essential stuff you will want right away in a easily labled box - toilet paper, scissors, medication, bottle opener.

there is nothing worst than getting to your knew home - sitting down to have a bottle of beer after a long day of work and realizing that the bottle opener is in one of THOSE boxes.

Got a kick out of "one of THOSE boxes". My husband got tired of just that so he had a spiral notebook, a marker, and a pen with him when we started to put boxes together. We numbered the boxes, placed the number in the small notebook (so I could put it in my purse), mentioned the containers stuff, and completed packing the boxes. It made it a lot easier for us when we got to our new home. He placed all the boxes by number and it was a lot easier. The only thing I added was in the manifest (notebook) was where it went into the house.

Shaneagle777
by on May. 3, 2010 at 11:25 AM

wow you gave me advice too .. I will have to move too and really have no idea what I should do.  I want to start packing stuff myself to prepare ahead of time.  Soon as I have a place and the income to pay rent Im outta here.

You will be moving into their humid season so on top of what everyone else told you, have plenty of water.  I dont know what Michigan is like in the summers but I imagine not as humid or hot.

LauraMi261
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:21 PM

It snows sometimes in Texas so if you have a good pair of snowboots keep them! I moved from Michigan to Tennessee and I most regretted not bringing those boots for the few occasions I needed them. I still needed them.

Carey2006
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:46 PM

UsedCardboardBoxes.com

http://thestir.cafemom.com/home_garden/102021/eco_friendly_boxes_for_moving

Good Luck!!!

kmrtigger
by on May. 3, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Pack room by room and label boxes. Make sure you toss items you haven't used in 6 months or longer. Hold a yard sale and earn some moving cash. Just keep asking yourself, do I*
really NEED this while packing. And don't forget to do a change of address for the post office AND friends and family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)