Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sunblock

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:01 PM
  • 15 Replies

What kind do you use? What SPF?

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Right now I am using Avon. SPF 30. My dermatologist said that 15 would be enough but people don't use enough, so they recommend 30.  A lot of what I read, though, says up to 50.

owensmom34
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:45 PM

I use SPF 30 as well.  We buy a sports based kind so that it doesn't come off easily during sports.

bhwrn1
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:10 PM

We use California Baby on the kids. Or the Neutrogena Pure and free. One is 30 the other is 60. I use whatever we have for now. I will switch when we run out. I just bought DS1 a tube of Burt's Bees 30 for camp.

Aislinn
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:11 PM

For my son, I use Aveeno Baby 50 SPF. For me, I used ten on my body, 30 on my face.

bhwrn1
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:12 PM

how do you like the Aveeno? I almost bought it today.

Quoting Aislinn:

For my son, I use Aveeno Baby 50 SPF. For me, I used ten on my body, 30 on my face.

Lilypie

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

4kidz916
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Right now we have Coppertone Kids SPF 50.

lalasmama2007
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:48 PM

I think we have banana boat SPF50.

PenelopesMom
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:24 PM

for SPF's, 30 blocks about 97% of the sun's rays. Going above that just moves that number up minutely. So, if you're using an SPF 70, you won't get much more protection than a 30. I never knew that until recently!

Anywho, I used to use coppertone waterbabies or Banana Boat...never again after some stuff I read about chemical sunscreens. The first chem-free one we've used is the Burt's Bees. It works just fine :) I would like to find a less expensive chem-free one, though. $15 a tube is a lot for how much we use sunscreen.

bhwrn1
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Yes, the chemical free sunblocks are more pricey. However, I think that a little goes a long way. I paid $12 for a tube of Burt's Bees today (with a coupon and a CVS ECB). I really like the California Baby. The tube is small, but I have had it for a year b/c you really don't need much! For something that is not quite chem-free, but still ranks pretty well on that scale, you could try the Neutrogena Baby stuff. I think it rates a 2 as opposed to the 1 that California Baby and Burt's Bees do. And it's certianly cheaper.

Quoting PenelopesMom:

for SPF's, 30 blocks about 97% of the sun's rays. Going above that just moves that number up minutely. So, if you're using an SPF 70, you won't get much more protection than a 30. I never knew that until recently!

Anywho, I used to use coppertone waterbabies or Banana Boat...never again after some stuff I read about chemical sunscreens. The first chem-free one we've used is the Burt's Bees. It works just fine :) I would like to find a less expensive chem-free one, though. $15 a tube is a lot for how much we use sunscreen.

Lilypie

natesmom1228
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:45 PM

I use waterbabies SPF 50 waterproof for the whole family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)