Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Year Round Schools

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:07 AM
  • 11 Replies

Are you for or against them?

Those of you who's schools are already year round what are the pros and cons? 

Every now and then the discussion comes up in our district and I'd like to know more about it. 

My initial reaction would be for them because there is less time spent reviewing. 

IDK what do you think?

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:56 PM

I like that the children have time to not think about homework and tests, and it is nice to be able to schedule family vacations around the school year. With all year school more people would take their children out of school for vacations.

lenoxclan
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:32 PM

I'd be for them. I think having such long summers(especially for elementary school ages)causes them to forget everything. I am reviewing with my kids now to prepare them for the new year. But my son has learning problems, so I don't know how much help I will be:0)

AngelEyezs1026
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:37 PM

I tease my kids all the time and tell them that they better pray that I never win the lottery because I'd send them to boarding school!

Seriously though, if it were regular school like they attend now I think if they did it the same way as college does it might be a good idea. I like the idea of them not having time to forget everything they've learned and the school has to waste time refreshing that material before moving on to something new.

Plus it would keep the kids' brains engaged as well as more socialization. We also wouldn't have to hear "I'm bored!" all summer long.

I'm all for giving them periodic short breaks but I think school year round would be a good idea. Possibly finally get our kids and our country back on track and maybe even ahead of the curve compared to other countries where we fall behind educationally. Better educatioin lead to better jobs. Better jobs would lead to a better economy. Better economy would lead to a great nation not surrounded by a mountain of debt ya know?

bobbysangel2006
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:01 PM

My oldest son attended a year round elementary school for 2 years (my ex was military so differeny school districts). For a few years following that he went to schools with a traditional calendar than to a school with what they called an aternative calendar which was a cross between traditional and year round.

The year round school was great. The kids get a break every 9 weeks, at the school he went to it was 3-4 weeks. At the end of the school year there was a 5-6 week summer break. The teachers were less stressed, the kids forgot a lot less than they do on an extended break and there was a lot less transition and review time.

My son is 20 years old now but after attending both types of school during his high school years he said that his personal preference was the year round calendar...one of his main reasons is that he is ADHD and this made things much easier for him as well as most of the special needs kids who stress during school.

psych_mom
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:17 PM

I attend college year round and it really burns me out. I'm not sure I want to put my kids through that stress, but it would ultimately depend on the kind of schedule that it would be.

needtochat
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:22 PM

they tried yr around yrs ago when my children were little but it didnt last cause grade middle and high school were all on different schedule-if you had a child in each school you always had one in school and people were complaining about not being able to go on vacation so it only lasted one yr and it was gone -personally I didnt like it

bhwrn1
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:08 PM

I find it an interesting idea. My cousin lives in NC and they have it where she lives. I think I would kind of like the whole tracking out at different times. It would allow us to plan vacations "off season" to avoid the crowds and high prices.

Angela4boys
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2010 at 6:48 PM

My kids had always attended traditional calender schools, until we attended our first year round school in Wake County, North Carolina.  I had no opposition to them, but seemed a lot of other parents did.  I LOVED year round school.  It was so nice!  Instead of having 3 months off in the summer, they'd attend 9 weeks, and then get 3 weeks off.  I loved being able to go on vacations or amusement parks when most schools were in session and they would not be packed!  We'd get great deals on off peak vacations.  And it seemed the kids and parents were always refreshed.  I wish all schools would go year round, it was great!

Also from the parents I talked to that were opposed, once they actually had a taste of year round, they liked it and wouldn't want it any other way.

lovelily79
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 1:45 AM

I think if they could tweek it so it works efficiently then it would be great. Like another poster said, a long summer like they have does make it hard for a kid to get back in the swing of things. They do yr. round schooling in other countries & it works great for them

chrarrington18
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 10:34 AM

I would go for a year round school...or even a tweeked version of it where they get out in June as usually... towards the end, have july off and go back in August. I think summer break is way to long and the kids do forget things. I started reviewing with my son who is in prek and he forgot somethings. I think all this free time is not helping our counrty and a way better school system for public and private would be great I n NY there are some schools that go till the end of july.....work during the day camplike in the afternoon....these are someof our charter schools. I know a  parent who has three girls in it and they love it.  Year round school souns real good to me. ( weeks in break for 3 weeks. Yea that would be lovly

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)