Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Some holiday event help (PIOG)

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2010 at 12:54 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hi there ladies!! I'm coming to you for a little bit of holiday help. I'm co-chairing the holiday event at my daughter's elementary school, through the PTA. And for the event, we've decided to do a holiday dance. What I'm looking for from you wonderful ladies, is a list of holiday songs that you would play for a group of elementary school children to dance and hang out to.

Also, we were thinking of having some games and crafts at the event that we're planning. What kind of games and craft ideas would you have at an event like this? Something kind of simple, and rather cheap, since our budget for the event is only $500.00.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks a bunch, in advance for your ideas and suggestions.

Something that might help, is maybe see what your children would want to see if they were going to be attending an event similar to this.

by on Nov. 7, 2010 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SanDiegoMaxMom
by on Nov. 7, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Kind of boring, but:

-Cookie decorating

-Make a placemat...laminate with school's laminating machine or clear contact paper.

-Best songs?  CHipmunks:

Donde Esta Santa Claus:

erinjo21
by on Nov. 7, 2010 at 2:05 PM

jingle bells, jingle bell rock, here comes santa,

Mel30248
by on Nov. 7, 2010 at 2:06 PM

I would just buy some mix cd's at the store, just saw some at Lowes today they were under $15, this way they can be used again next year.

For games you can do the run of the mill games but use xmas decorations. You could pin the nose on frosty, santa ring toss, guess how many snowflakes on or in something.... give me a minute I'll come up with more things lol

Mel30248
by on Nov. 7, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Could you buy some jingle bells & some other cheap instruments  & have a jam out area like a mini stage area near the music? Allow the kids to get up & dance around making noise. I picked up a bell the other day for a little over $1 in the xmas section.

How about a timed game of decorate the xmas tree? You could have a box full of decorations & time the kids so many seconds to get all the decorations up, win a prize for getting it done on time.

Craft contest you could provide something like santas, snowmen, raindeer or something plus some craft stuff & whomever makes the best one wins something.

You could have a snow area like a place where they can jump, sit, toss fake snow?

JHanc968
by on Nov. 7, 2010 at 2:10 PM

You can play musical chairs with Christmas music.

Mel30248
by on Nov. 7, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Oh how about something like that show with the lyrics to songs on CMT? Its where they play part of a song then stop & the contestant has to say the next two lines, you could do this with the xmas music. Do basic songs like "here comes santa clause" "rudolph" etc.

Mel30248
by on Nov. 7, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Think you could find large balls of Styrofoam? If so you could put three together to make a snowman then have a game where you blindfold the kids & have them dress up the snowman. Hat, scarf, eyes, nose, mouth, buttons, arms etc. Styrofoam is cheap & you can get hand me down hats, scarfs, clothing whatever or hit the thrift store for such things.

Mel30248
by on Nov. 7, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Guess that xmas treat? You could have bowls that you cant see into & have things like sugar cookies all crumbled up, candy cane pieces... cant think of other treats right now but have the kids put their hands in & guess what it is. You could/should have several bowls & put up two or three at a time & switch them around to keep them guessing & that way someone dosent figure it out & then everyone already knows.

Mel30248
by on Nov. 7, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Dress up area & have the kids guess who you are trying to be? You could have stuff for raindeer, santa, frosty, elf, tree, ornament, angel.... the kids could dress up as something & you can have teams like in charades (is that the game!?) I dont know lol but again if you do something like this you can find stuff at thrift stores or get people to donate old items.

Guess that classic xmas story? You could have an excerpt from a childrens classic xmas book & the kids have to guess which book it is? You can even have excerts & the titles on a board & they have to match them up or something.

Man I wish I had a job like this lol I'm liking my ideas, I sure hope you are too!

maisonsmom
by on Nov. 7, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Quoting Mel30248:

Dress up area & have the kids guess who you are trying to be? You could have stuff for raindeer, santa, frosty, elf, tree, ornament, angel.... the kids could dress up as something & you can have teams like in charades (is that the game!?) I dont know lol but again if you do something like this you can find stuff at thrift stores or get people to donate old items.

Guess that classic xmas story? You could have an excerpt from a childrens classic xmas book & the kids have to guess which book it is? You can even have excerts & the titles on a board & they have to match them up or something.

Man I wish I had a job like this lol I'm liking my ideas, I sure hope you are too!

You have really great ideas!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)