Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where can I get help for holidays for my children?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2010 at 9:46 PM
  • 16 Replies

I just lost my job on the 4th of this month.  It's an awful time for us as my job was close to half of our income.  It was a very signifigant amount as I was a full time overnight CNA.  We are already behind on bills, but that's another story.  I'm trying my best to rely on God to help me in my search for a new job, but in the meantime Im so stressed and scared.  I have two layaways at Kmart which I have not been able to pay on this week, so I don't know if I will even be able to get them the few things I had on layaway for Christmas.

I know about the salvation army, but I don't know how to get in contact with them or kmart of any other places that assist.  It's been over two years since we've required any kind of assistance so I'm very confused.  I did apply for food stamps, but was told it could be up to 30 days before they respond.

I appreciate any suggestions...etc.  Thank you all!

Lilypie - (bdl5)

by on Nov. 9, 2010 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2010 at 9:51 PM

do you have an angel tree in your area?  Local churches? 

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2010 at 9:52 PM

I'd talk to church, visit a food bank and ask them about S.A.  we used to give out applications for it there but we ran out of space FAST!!

Habichuela
by on Nov. 9, 2010 at 9:53 PM
Sorry to hear about ur misfortunes. Yes salvation army is a way to go just call or go there. Try good will, united way, toys for tots is a program for the holidays u can look em up online. Check the newspaper, call local churches. Try your city/ county or state website by this time of novemeber there should be info regarding holiday plans for the communities.

I always wait till after xmas to buy my kids toys and they are just as happy, so if u can't do it before dec 25 everything will be alright just do the after xmas sale.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on Nov. 9, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Toys for Tots should be able to help. Call 211 from a land line and it will put you in touch with your local united way and they should be able to give you info of lots of things.

Habichuela
by on Nov. 9, 2010 at 9:56 PM
Look in ur local phone book front page has emergency numbers and and many programs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hfaddis
by on Nov. 10, 2010 at 2:31 PM

thanks ladies this information can help alot of mommas who are in this position right now!

Samanthamommy
by on Nov. 10, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Toys for tots?

Aqua_Jen
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2010 at 2:39 PM
Id contact a local church. Often they will help with toys and a holiday meal. Some even have job seeking assistance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyCash
by on Nov. 10, 2010 at 7:50 PM

You can find info on the SA online, it should have links to your local one.

Local churches wiill often help and have programs, there are food banks

as well.  You could call the local police or sheriffs office, they might know,

or the chamber of commerce maybe. 

You could check in the yellow pages, call DFCS (department of family and childrens services)

or a womens shelter in your area as well. 

I'll def keep your family in my prayers!

wicked_tink
by on Nov. 10, 2010 at 7:52 PM

i hope things get better for you op.as far as help im not sure but i hope you get help soon :) keep us posted

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)