Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where can I get help for holidays for my children?

Posted by   + Show Post

I just lost my job on the 4th of this month.  It's an awful time for us as my job was close to half of our income.  It was a very signifigant amount as I was a full time overnight CNA.  We are already behind on bills, but that's another story.  I'm trying my best to rely on God to help me in my search for a new job, but in the meantime Im so stressed and scared.  I have two layaways at Kmart which I have not been able to pay on this week, so I don't know if I will even be able to get them the few things I had on layaway for Christmas.

I know about the salvation army, but I don't know how to get in contact with them or kmart of any other places that assist.  It's been over two years since we've required any kind of assistance so I'm very confused.  I did apply for food stamps, but was told it could be up to 30 days before they respond.

I appreciate any suggestions...etc.  Thank you all!

Lilypie - (bdl5)

by on Nov. 9, 2010 at 9:46 PM
Replies (11-16):
BaezBoyz
by on Nov. 10, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Sorry to hear about your situation! Hope everything works out for you & your family.

erinjo21
by on Nov. 10, 2010 at 7:54 PM

local churches

othermom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Try calling 211. It can give you some information most of the time. Also check with local churches and there are sometimes groups on here that will help too. Good luck. I hope you can find a new job quickly.

bergencounty
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2010 at 7:59 PM

Food Banks give out gift cards to toy stores for the children.

bergencounty
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2010 at 8:00 PM

try http://www.indeed.com/ for a job lead

good luck in your job search.

clovismommy25
by on Nov. 10, 2010 at 8:06 PM

There are groups here on cafemom who adopt children. My kids were adopted this year, we are finally getting on our feet, so this helped us not fall again. I would see if any are still open for adoptions. Or local church's, things like that! i hope you get some help!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN