Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pet Problems

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:36 PM
  • 18 Replies

I have an almsot 2 year old mixed mutt named, Bella. She is half German Shepard and half Husky(that we know of.) She is the worlds sweetest and most gentle natured dog. She can not be yelled at, or she will crawl on her belly to a hiding spot(she was abused, poor baby.)

Anyway, the problem started baout 2 weeks ago. My husband is going to night classes and I am alone with her and my son. I don't know why but she has started chewing on things and being dirty. She has been fine before this, so it has us baffled. The chewing...well she is almost two, they get their final teeth at 2, so we stocked up on raw hide, and bones. No biggie.

The problem is the being dirty. We can leave her out to go pee for an hour, and she will come in and pee on the floor an hour later. Its like she has zero will to hold it until the next bathroom break. (we do not make our dog hold it for long periods of time. She has a 100 ft runner, and is alllowed on it  4x a day to go to the bathroom.

She has all of her vaccinaitons, she was 100% healthy at her last check up(in dec.) and I have no reason to beleive she is not healthy. She is not fixed. She will only pee in my sons room, no where else. It makes me think she is doing it because she is mad or jealous of my son. We have tried walkign her for more exercise, letting her out more to go to the bathroom, positive enforcment(where I praise her when she goes outside.) I do not beleive in hitting animals. And yelling at a dog after the fact doesn't do much good, they don't understand. In her case, I think it would even make it worse. She is very timid.

We are getting at our wits end. Any suggestions? I would hate to be one of those people who re-homes an animal just because of a behavior problem. We aren't there yet(well I;m not. Hubby is, lol) but I can only keep hubby pacified for so long. He is sick of it. I don't blame him.

We are going to get her fixed with our income tax...maybe that will help? We have been putting it off because it cost $300 here to get a dog spayed. We haven't been able to afford it until now. I don't want to spend that though if its not going to help. We already have about $400 into her over the last year for her vet bills. I love her, she is a swetheart...so what the heck is going on?  

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elijahsmama09
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:40 PM

We have had her almost a year I wanted to add.

mommyof3-2008
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:50 PM

there might be something going on with your son and her.  I would talk to a vet and see what they say

DomsMama07
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:53 PM
I'm no help so here's a bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slw123
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:37 PM

I don't know, but I would definitely talk to the vet.  She could have a UTI or something.  Plus the smell is in the bedroom, so she now thinks that's her spot to go, you need to try to keep the door shut or put up a gate.

ceciliam
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:40 PM

I'm thinking she might have a UTI and is going to your son's room to hide what she is doing because she knows it's wrong.

elijahsmama09
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:22 PM

See, if she had a UTI she would have other symtoms. Like painful urination, blood in her urine, and abdominal discomfort. I don't think its a medical issue. I think its a behavior issue. She also has started chewing on his toys. And only my sons stuff. I think she is jealous of something. i just have no clue hopw to tell her in doggy language, "I still love you. Now stop being a butthead." LOL.

As far as smell, I have used the enzyme sprays that are supposed to eliminate the smell to dogs Either it doesn't work, or she just doesn't care. . I can't shut the door, because there is no door on my sons room(we removed it.) I have put up baby gates, but she is a german shepard and very tall. She can very easily jump right over it.

We are going to put the door back on. This weekend my husband is going to do that. So that should help. But that doesn't really solve the behavior.

She has a a shot booster on the 19th...I will double checkwith our vet about any UTI issues just in case though.

EireLass
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:52 PM

She could have a UTI and you wouldn't notice it other than this being a symptom. It's pretty easy to collect urine, and you can drop off a sample at the vet for testing. Take a pie plate and follow her (outside where she's supposed to go) and collect it in the pan, pour it into something to bring to the vet. They would do the same thing if you brought her there, this will just save you money. 

ceciliam
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Not necessarily. My cat had a really bad UTI and I had no idea until she could no longer empty her bladder. Then she needed surgery. You know your dog best though and it could just be behavioral. Dogs also chew when they are stressed, not just for pleasure.

Quoting elijahsmama09:

See, if she had a UTI she would have other symtoms. Like painful urination, blood in her urine, and abdominal discomfort. I don't think its a medical issue. I think its a behavior issue. She also has started chewing on his toys. And only my sons stuff. I think she is jealous of something. i just have no clue hopw to tell her in doggy language, "I still love you. Now stop being a butthead." LOL.

As far as smell, I have used the enzyme sprays that are supposed to eliminate the smell to dogs Either it doesn't work, or she just doesn't care. . I can't shut the door, because there is no door on my sons room(we removed it.) I have put up baby gates, but she is a german shepard and very tall. She can very easily jump right over it.

We are going to put the door back on. This weekend my husband is going to do that. So that should help. But that doesn't really solve the behavior.

She has a a shot booster on the 19th...I will double checkwith our vet about any UTI issues just in case though.

Madelaine
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Never had a dog so maybe someone else knows....

Modestdresses
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:37 PM
Not sure
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)