Group Home

Smarter Health: Smoothie Goodness

Posted by   + Show Post

Smoothie Goodness

When I was in the first trimester of my pregnancy, I, like many women, had it rough. One of the worst problems, I encountered, was my old-stand by beverage of choice--plain old water--was making me sick. I would find myself, at 3:00 in the afternoon, dying for something to drink and turning to apple juice or cranberry juice, drinks loaded with sugar. (I can't drink soda, so it made it hard to find something to drink.)  I did the crystal light thing for awhile, but started getting really sick of it.

One afternoon, in the mall, as I was dying of thirst with nothing but soda fountains to choose from, I stumbled by a smoothie place. I ordered a Berry Blast, it had yogurt and an assortment of berries in it. Never one for smoothies, I didn't think much of it until I took my first sip: Maybe it was hormones, or just sheer hydration deprivation, but it was the best tasting, most refreshing thing I had consumed in what felt like my entire life.

I wouldn't stop talking about it. I finally broke down and bought an inexpensive blender. I found a smoothie recipe online for something that was non-fat and taste like peach pie (it didn't). I searched some more and found a banana smoothie recipe, still healthy and good for you, this one felt like I was drinking desert:  

Peel, slice, and freeze 1 small banana. Place frozen banana pieces in a blender with 3 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk; blend until thick. Top with 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts.
You can add decaf coffee, a teaspoon of peanut butter, or a drop of chocolate syrup to change it up.

Do you like smoothies? What's your favorite?

by on Mar. 23, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
JoyJoy
by on Mar. 24, 2011 at 1:02 PM

havent had them in forever tho

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Mar. 24, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Quoting Samanthamommy:

I love them, but don't have them very often.

Same here.

DomsMama07
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2011 at 2:15 PM
We love smoothies but haven't had them in awhile! When I was pregnant with my 1st I was smoothie crazy! (Jamba juice)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrincessPeach06
by on Mar. 24, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Not a fan actually :)

~Kelly~
Mom to 3 boys ages 12,10 & 7
and 3 girls ages 9, 4 & 2

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I love them, but rarely make them at home. I really should.

AllThatBabyJazz
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2011 at 2:55 PM

I LOVE smoothies!

AllThatBabyJazz
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2011 at 2:55 PM

When I was pregnant with my son I craved Orange Julius' 

karischub
by on Mar. 24, 2011 at 5:03 PM

I love them.

karischub
by on Mar. 24, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I used to work at a restaurant that made fresh smoothies. I love anything citrus based. My favorite was Vitamin C. It had fresh oranges, lemons, and local honey...

karischub
by on Mar. 24, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I don't like bananas so I wouldn't drink one with that in it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. aneela
  2. Vertical15
  3. mrswillie
  4. ceciliam
  5. deccaf
  6. SweetLuci