Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Easy Kitchen Cleanup

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:00 AM
  • 111 Replies

Cleaning the kitchen is a pain, besides the daily wear-and-tear of being the main hub for everything including breakfast, lunch, and snacks, there’s dinner. I’m the first to admit that I’m not a neat cook, (and my husband will be the quickest to concur). I use more pots than I need, more utensils than thought possible, and sauces and food seem to jump out of the pot onto nearby walls.

And though I haven’t learned to cook and clean, I have learned some shortcuts for easier clean-up. My favorite is to line the counter with paper towels or waxpaper and place the cutting board on top. This gives me a place to put all the chopped pieces I don’t want (onion skins, tops of peppers, etc.) and keeps the counter clean when I’m cutting up meat.

Another trick is to place the trashcan in easy reaching distance, I’ll move it near the sink. It sounds strange, but I find myself throwing out more as I go when the trash is right there at my feet.

Another tip, which I stole from my friend Deb, is to line the refrigerator doors with coasters. This way, when a drippy bottle makes its way back to the fridge, you only have to swap out one coaster for another  and not scrub down shelving.

Any quick kitchen-cleaning tips you want to share?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
onecuteladybug2
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:13 PM

I like the coaster idea.

onecuteladybug2
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:13 PM

I keep a garbage bowl on the counter when prepping, like Rachael Ray. It helps me keep things at least a little neater.

alliesmom112
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:16 PM
I do the same thing. I love Rachael Ray.

Quoting onecuteladybug2:

I keep a garbage bowl on the counter when prepping, like Rachael Ray. It helps me keep things at least a little neater.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iam4you2
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Thank you

bether89
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Quoting onecuteladybug2:

I like the coaster idea.

me too.

bether89
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 9:29 AM

I try to wash my dishes as I go.  The food inside pots comes off easier right away.

amy7243
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 9:30 AM
Great tips!
JoyJoy
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 9:31 AM

good ideas

mayzell
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 9:32 AM

I use a butter knife cover it with a rag to clean the corners of my counter that are hard to clean

daerca574
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 9:34 AM

I have a composting bucket on my counter I use for scraps including papertowels since they break down.  I also keep dishwater in the sink and wash my bowls and utensils as I go.  No scrubbing or anything that takes extra time.  At the end of the meal all I have to wash is the plates, glasses and silverware.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)