Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tips for a Better Night’s Sleep

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:00 AM
  • 72 Replies

Do you have trouble sleeping? I do, sometimes. And the nights that I don’t sleep well affect the next day. I’m cranky, irritable, and walk around in a fog. I can usually determine the reason for a sleepless night: I’m either worried about a million things and can’t shut off my brain, or I had too much caffeine too late in the day.  Sometimes, I don’t know why I’m tossing and turning. There are a few things I can do, to help ensure a better night’s sleep, maybe they can help you too.

Regular aerobic exercise for 30 to 40 minutes, four times a week, improves sleep quality says the experts, repeatedly. Try to schedule it in the morning or afternoon, the stimulation that comes from a workout a few hours before bedtime can have the reverse reaction.

Go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day. This keeps you on a schedule and helps regulate sleep.

Keep your bedroom cool. A cool bedroom lowers your core body temperature, which initiates sleepiness. When it’s too warm, you’re uncomfortable and can keep you awake tossing and turning.

If you’re tired, you may be tempted to just veg out and watch TV, but this can contribute to sleeplessness. Get out there, do something active or read a book, and turn in at your regular bedtime.

How do you deal with sleepless nights?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
onecuteladybug2
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Thanks for the tips!

onecuteladybug2
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:11 PM

I have sleepless nights every night. Nothing seems to work though.

maisonsmom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:14 PM
When I can't sleep it's because I'm worried about something and my brain running a million miles an hour. I have no tips on how to sleep better though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karischub
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:15 PM

These seem like good tips. In college I was an insomniac and have had to really work at it. I try to go to bed an hour before I want to sleep. Then I read my kindle until I doze off and my light automatically goes off when I haven't flipped a page in 10 minutes...

iam4you2
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:26 PM

thank you

KristinRox
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:39 PM

I love the excercise one. It seems exercise is the glue that holds the world together. It helps in so many aspects of life.

KristinRox
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:40 PM

I was thinking of getting one of these for the same reason. Its really a good idea.

My Ipad has a app that I can get with books. I might just do that.

Quoting karischub:

These seem like good tips. In college I was an insomniac and have had to really work at it. I try to go to bed an hour before I want to sleep. Then I read my kindle until I doze off and my light automatically goes off when I haven't flipped a page in 10 minutes...

KristinRox
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:41 PM

This is usually the case with me. It seems I can float through my day, but when I get to bed time all the stresses of everything around me starts to get my mind going a mile a minute.

Quoting maisonsmom:

When I can't sleep it's because I'm worried about something and my brain running a million miles an hour. I have no tips on how to sleep better though.

KristinRox
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Thats not good. Do you think you should, maybe, see a doctor about that? It cant be good to be sleepless.

Quoting onecuteladybug2:

I have sleepless nights every night. Nothing seems to work though.

bether89
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I sleep with a fan on for background noise.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)