Smarter Mom: Winning Over Picky Eaters

Posted by   + Show Post

If “ I hate milk!” or “I won’t eat the broccoli!” are common phrases in your household you’re not alone. Most kids—to a certain degree--are picky eaters.  Maybe they don't like the color of something, or the consistency, or perhaps they'll only eat sandwiches cut on a diagonal. Whatever it is, most parents have at least one complaint about the way their child eats. Luckily, it’s not as bad as most parents think and so-called picky eaters are getting just as many nutrients as non-picky eaters.  To combat picky eating, and restore some of your sanity, her are a few common picky eater complaints, and tips on combating them.

Refusing to eat his veggies. It's common for kids to refuse to eat their vegetables, or something else you've put on their plate for dinner. And it's also quite common for a fight to ensue, where you tell them they have to sit at that table till its all gone. (At least, that's what  my mom did to me.) Experts are saying a better tactic is to put the broccoli on their plates, as well as your own, and sit down and eat it. If they don't eat it, it's not the end of the world. Try again. You'll be surprised; before you know it your child may just voluntarily eat those dreadful veggies.  

Not hungry at dinner. Again, kids will be kids and if they're not hungry at 6:00p.m. don't force them to eat. Maybe they want to eat later or maybe they had too many snacks at 3:00, but don't force them. If everyone is eating at the table, they need to sit there too, and of course no desert. Odds are once they’re sitting there, they might join in the meal, anyway.

More choices. Your child might be using food to test your boundaries and their independence. So, give them choices that ultimately don't matter. Put two healthy choices in front of them, and let them decide what they want to eat. You win, because all their choices are healthy. They think they win, because they got to choose what to eat.

What do you do to get your kids to eat?

by on Mar. 31, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Replies (91-100):
KayMMIV
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:09 PM

it's not so much the 'I hate milk" as "your sons anemic... again" when he gets dairy lol

but yeah, we've come up with some pretty creative ways to make sure everyone's nutrient needs are met.

great article!

JoyJoy
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:24 PM

i dont have picky kids

jen113000
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:00 PM

My son is a very picky eater. I have started limited his snacks after a certain time. There are just some foods that I cannot get him to try. He is getting better though. I ask him to atleast try a few bites of something he thinks he won't like and he has been surprised that he does actually like it such as broccoli.

abernathyvanna
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 12:00 AM

LOL... I have never had a problem with picky eaters. :) 

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Apr. 14, 2011 at 12:04 AM

My younger daughter is very picky

bether89
by Ruby Member on Apr. 14, 2011 at 12:07 AM

I make mine try at least one bite of something to see if they like it or not.

_Tam_
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 1:16 AM

We sweeten the deal.  We'll introduce a new food and bribe her with an extra bath or something (she gets one every other night, but sometimes we make the water different colors).

frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2011 at 2:44 AM

we try several different thing a few at a time and give our daughter a chance to try it for herself. If she doesn't like it we will not do it again until later then try again. We did get her to eat califlower by mixing it with mashed potatoes.

alexis_06
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 2:49 AM

luckily, i dont have to do anything.....she loves most foods :)

Jerichos_Mommy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2011 at 3:32 PM

I offer what we are having and make sure there is also something he likes and is nutritious.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: