Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Home: Celebrate Earth Day

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:00 AM
  • 49 Replies

April 22nd is the official date to celebrate Earth Day, however it’s celebrated all month long. With spring in the air, it's a great time to do our part in preserving mother earth; and the best place to start is right at home. You don't have to run out and start composting or install solar panels on your roof; little changes can have a big impact, too.

Here are five quick tips to help your household get a little greener.

Use Less Water. Two simple ways to cut down on how much water you use is to reduce the time you shower, and shut the water off while you brush your teeth.
Paper or Plastic? Neither! Bring your own bags to the grocery  store with you.
Soy Candles. Buy soy candles over paraffin, they emit less toxins and less black smoke polluting the air.
Buy in Bulk. This not only helps cut down on wasted packaging, but helps save you  money, too.
Recycle. You might already recycle your trash (if not, that's your first step), but make sure you recycle your gadgets (laptops, ereaders, phones) too.

Do you do anything specia for Earth Day?

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amy7243
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Those are great tips! Last year we planted trees.

usmclife58
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Earth Day is a special day here... It is my youngest daughter's birthday :D

melaniecerise
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:57 PM

we have our own reuseable bags for grocery shopping. we do buy in bulk. We don't really acknowledge Earth Day because we try to be green everyday. If we do anything special it would be something like planting a tree or flowers.

Serenity75
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:07 PM

We always try to do something special for Earth Day.  We haven't decided on what this year, last year we planted some plants.

August07Mom
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:08 PM

We don't do anything out of the ordinary for Earth Day. 

lalasmama2007
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:15 PM

We don't do anything special, but we did attend an Earth Day story time at the library last year =)

Barabell
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Those are great tips! I don't think we're doing anything special as a family for Earth Day. My son's school may be doing something.

ethans_momma06
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:18 PM

I don't right now. Trying to get my life in order and then I'll be able to participate in future Earth Days!

itsallabtthem84
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:21 PM

No plans here.

MarshaLynn04
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:22 PM

we recycle, buy in bulk, and one year we planted a tree :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)