Group Home

Smarter Home: Plant a Windowsill Garden

Posted by   + Show Post

There’s been a lot of talk about gardening lately, which happens every year around this time of year. Afterall, Spring just so happens to be the best time to plant a garden; not to mention the imminent approach of Earth Day has people rushing outside and planting seeds to grow all types of plants.

If all this gardening talk has you down because either your green thumb isn’t so green or your an urban dweller without the resources to go out and sow your own land, cheer up. The windowsill herb garden is a great way to get your hands dirty--but not too dirty.

First you need a sunny windowsill--it should get sun for at least five hours a day. Then you need to purchase a container (6-12 inches deep), soilless potting mix, and herb plants. Put about 3-inches of mix into the pot, make sure it drains well, and put your herb plants in.  Then add another inch or so of potting mix.

When it comes to picking out herbs, a lot of people recommend dill, mint, thyme, and parsley. I’m partial to basil, but it seems most people agree that it’s best to do this one on its own because the leaves get big. Whatever herbs you try, be sure not to water too often (herbs don’t need a ton of water), and trim back as necessary. Most important, enjoy fresh herbs all summer long!

Do you plant herbs?

by on Apr. 20, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Replies (61-66):
steveiguana
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 9:40 PM

yes

steveiguana
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 9:40 PM

thanks for the information it is amazing what you can get from just a pot and the sun and a few seeds

iam4you2
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 9:53 PM

We are planting tomatoes soon

malexander2009
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 10:32 PM

I really want to but I am not good taking care of plants they usually die quite quick on me.

Ibelongtojesus
by on Apr. 26, 2011 at 7:57 AM

Not herbs but I think I might try this year.  I have a vegetable garden and flower gardens.  I go all out because I am just as picky about the outside appearance as I am the inside.

Kmakksmom
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 3:19 PM
We are doing this this year in the spring :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. BeachLifeMama
  3. SweetLuci
  4. mom2jessnky
  5. mrswillie
  6. proudmommy690
  7. alf2651
  8. Wish2Be
  9. nngmommy83
  10. momofsixangels
  11. momofnatalie
  12. lyrick24
  13. melliburger
  14. exhaustedmother
  15. wandep
  16. brownhoney21
  17. louannwilkins
  18. lilmama31709
  19. lizzig
  20. Tigress22304
Today's Question Tell us what you think!

Which back to school item(s) do you buy new every year?

Only CafeMom members can vote on polls.
Click here to login or register.