Group Home

Smarter Home: How to Clean Pollen

Posted by on May. 2, 2011 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies

We love Spring: The warm weather, the longer days, the flowers, and the greening grass and trees. Of course, another sure sign of Spring that we're less in love with is the complete covering of pollen on our cars, clothes, sidewalks and decks, patio furniture, windowsills ( blowing inside our houses), and kids. Luckily, it's relatively easy to get rid of.

For outdoor furniture, sidewalks, patios, and cars the easiest way to get rid of pollen is with a garden hose. Simply spray down whatever it is covered in pollen, and it should run off into the grass or down the curb. You can also use the hose on your house if there's pollen covering your house. (You can also rent a power-washer to do this.)

For pollen that's embedded itself in outdoor fabrics, you might need to use a little elbow grease. Especially if poeple will be sitting on cusions, you don't want them getting dirty. Start by hosing down, you can then use a spray bottle with warm water mixed with a teaspoon or two of dish washing detergent. Shake well and get sudsy and spray. Next grab a scrub brush and scrub the furniture down. You can hose it off when you're done.

(You might not want to put so much elbow grease into washing off the furniture until you know all the pollen is done coming down.)

For laundry stains, be careful not to rub pollen in to fabric. Shake off as much as possible, and soak in cold water with a bit of oxyclean for about 30 minutes.

Do you have a pollen problem?

by on May. 2, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wish2Be
by Michelle on May. 2, 2011 at 10:16 AM

We have pollen so bad here that our cars look like they have a film of yellow on it from time to time. A hose doesnt usually get it off, we have to go to a mechanical car wash.

Hate pollen.

Tnamari
by on May. 2, 2011 at 10:17 AM

our pollen has eased up a tad, but still enough to make me sneeze :(

amy7243
by on May. 2, 2011 at 10:21 AM

My main problem with Pollen is my allergies!!! It really gets to me.

Wish2Be
by Michelle on May. 2, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Pollen is kinda sticky too, so I am curious to figure out if maybe we have different kind of pollen... because I dont know of any of our pollen coming off with water now that I think about it.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on May. 2, 2011 at 10:30 AM

same here....

Quoting amy7243:

My main problem with Pollen is my allergies!!! It really gets to me.

MommaSiete
by on May. 2, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Thanks for sharing, we do not have pollen problems however.

alliesmom112
by Sandy on May. 2, 2011 at 11:03 AM
Thanks for sharing. We have major pollen issues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aqua_Jen
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Ive never had a pollen problem but its always good to know how to get rid of it just in case!

Samanthamommy
by on May. 2, 2011 at 12:19 PM

No, not really.

KristinRox
by on May. 2, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Thank goodness we do not have any pollen problem at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. SweetLuci
  2. deccaf
  3. Charizma77
  4. Jules_
  5. ceciliam
  6. mom2jessnky