Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Home: Sneaky Storage Solutions

Posted by on May. 3, 2011 at 12:00 AM
  • 80 Replies

Storage. There's never enough. Not in the kitchen, the garage, the bedroom, the family room, the kids room, everywhere you look there's stuff and not enough places to put it all. Imagine what little storage you get in a one bedroom apartment. Lucky for me, I don't have to imagine it. My husband and I just downsized our living arrangements from a two bedroom to a one bedroom and we have a baby on the way. Nevermind the "what are they thinking", almost everyone is saying that, my main concern is storage and how we're going to squeeze as much as possible, without sacrificing style or losing a lot of square footage.

Our first purchase was a white wardrobe-closet. It fits perfect in our bedroom, and has tripled our storage space. At only $115 I thought it was quite  a steal, my husband who spent 6 hours over two days putting the thing together disagrees.

We have had to get creative with storage, and it seems to be working. We have a bookshelf, we stocked with baskets. We have a bench that we're converting into our coffee table. A piano bench converted into an end table. And our old seldom used shoe-rack is now housing our towels and linens. We're also reorganizing things, for example our printer is now in a cabinet with the cable modem and cable box. (No room for a desk in this place!)

What are some storage solutions you use?

by on May. 3, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyshere
by on May. 3, 2011 at 6:29 PM

I use a lot of spacebags and giant ziplocks.

KamiB79
by on May. 3, 2011 at 7:28 PM
I feel like our house I'd always cluttered! I'm going to work on fixing that This Summer! I'll be using these ideas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chiquis
by on May. 3, 2011 at 7:51 PM
I don't I need some though lol.

I keep wanting to try space bags but I worry they won't work. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alliesmom112
by on May. 3, 2011 at 10:32 PM
Dh is always having to build me more shelves and cabinets for storage. There is never enough in this house for sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilMissCupcake
by on May. 3, 2011 at 11:38 PM

great idea

bether89
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2011 at 11:50 PM

We use storage containers that will fit under the bed.

dodie_s
by on May. 4, 2011 at 1:16 AM

I have nothing to add . I'm having a yard sale this summer to see what I can get rid of.

heathermichelle
by on May. 4, 2011 at 1:32 AM

I use storage containers

amy7243
by on May. 4, 2011 at 2:22 PM

We use alot of baskets for storage. I have used the Space bages for winter clothes and I really liked using them.

Cafe Veronica
by on May. 4, 2011 at 3:43 PM

We don't have that many closets in our house so I have to come up with ways to 'hide' things. I'm glad that I at least have a walk in closet though, we store things in plastic bins in there. I also have shoe organizers for all of us so we have space on the floor to place other things. I use cloth bins on top of the closet shelfs to maintain the 'neat' look!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN