Group Home

Smarter Home: Sneaky Storage Solutions

Posted by   + Show Post

Storage. There's never enough. Not in the kitchen, the garage, the bedroom, the family room, the kids room, everywhere you look there's stuff and not enough places to put it all. Imagine what little storage you get in a one bedroom apartment. Lucky for me, I don't have to imagine it. My husband and I just downsized our living arrangements from a two bedroom to a one bedroom and we have a baby on the way. Nevermind the "what are they thinking", almost everyone is saying that, my main concern is storage and how we're going to squeeze as much as possible, without sacrificing style or losing a lot of square footage.

Our first purchase was a white wardrobe-closet. It fits perfect in our bedroom, and has tripled our storage space. At only $115 I thought it was quite  a steal, my husband who spent 6 hours over two days putting the thing together disagrees.

We have had to get creative with storage, and it seems to be working. We have a bookshelf, we stocked with baskets. We have a bench that we're converting into our coffee table. A piano bench converted into an end table. And our old seldom used shoe-rack is now housing our towels and linens. We're also reorganizing things, for example our printer is now in a cabinet with the cable modem and cable box. (No room for a desk in this place!)

What are some storage solutions you use?

by on May. 3, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on May. 12, 2011 at 2:24 PM

I sometimes reuse boxes that come in the mail...to keep small things that I won't be using often and label them.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on May. 12, 2011 at 2:25 PM

I also reused a few of those diaper wipes containers for my son's small toys and crayons etc.

aneela

But what I find works best...is downsizing!

aneela

You can only move around items so much and then you realise...you don't need everything you still have.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on May. 12, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Freecycle.org or local charities and churches are great to pass on items in good quality...to help others and save yourself the trouble of holding on to clutter.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on May. 12, 2011 at 2:27 PM

But if you must hold on to certain things...then you definitely need to find ways to either present the items or hide them away.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on May. 12, 2011 at 2:29 PM

There are so many cool and handy looking cabinets and shelves now...things that looks pretty and are super functional.

Kaci
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2011 at 2:29 PM

I love the small little side tables, coffee tables or foot stools that double as storage boxes!

Kaci
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2011 at 2:31 PM

I have gone and gotten the see thru shoe boxes for 97 cents and put my shoes on my shelves in them. You see what is where and its at your finger tips!

Kaci
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Oh you know those pretty teal sets they have for your office desk at WM? I bought part of the set for all my make up. Its just big enough and I can separate all my cosmetics. I love it. and its attractive!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. letstalk747
  2. lizzig
  3. Jukebox_Jenny
  4. powow65
  5. alf2651
  6. Angela4boys