Group Home

What's your favorite summertime dinner?

Posted by on May. 31, 2011 at 12:00 AM
  • 64 Replies

Summer is just around the corner....and I don't know about you, but I don't remember the last time I have been so ready. In many parts of the country (including mine), winter has stretched right on into springtime and warm temperatures sound like a little bit of heaven right now.

In some places, this is the last month of school, and pretty much all of us are in the home stretch until school is out and fun time is in. It's time to gear up for a great summer.

I can't wait for the first long, lingering dinner out on the patio in the backyard complete with kids running around afterwards, taking advantage of evening sunshine and later bedtimes. We've already broken out the grill, making the most of the few warm days we've had, and am looking forward to trying some new stuff this summer: pizza, maybe, or pulled pork.  I pretty much wave bye-bye to the oven in May (we don't have air conditioning in our house and the kitchen windows don't have screens, so turning on the oven makes the kitchen a furnace) and we cook everything on the stovetop or the grill.

Or, on the hottest days, we don't cook at all. I make salads of all stripes, like pasta, bean or rice salad with a nice tart dressing that is really refreshing on a hot day. This BLT bread salad from Cooking Light is amazing... save a few calories and skip the cheese, because it's better without it (or, even better, sub in a couple more slices of bacon!).  Cold glasses of club soda or iced tea and a yummy frozen treat for dessert rounds everything out.

What's your favorite summertime dinner?

by on May. 31, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heathermichelle
by on Jun. 2, 2011 at 5:20 AM

Burgers, Hot dogs, potato salad, baked beans, corn, watermelon, tea and lemonade :)

Wish2Be
by Michelle on Jun. 2, 2011 at 7:19 AM

My favorite is BBQ Grilled Chicken and Corn with Potato Salad and Watermelon for desert !

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2011 at 8:06 AM

Anything on the grill, so I don't have to heat up the kitchen. Or a big chef salad.

maybebaby83
by on Jun. 2, 2011 at 8:07 AM

Sounds wonderful!

Quoting heathermichelle:

Burgers, Hot dogs, potato salad, baked beans, corn, watermelon, tea and lemonade :)

dixiegurl223626
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Steak cooked on the grill, potato salad, corn on the cob, green beans, and a nice dessert.

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Anything on the grill or anything I dont have to cook like sandwiches or something.

AmyKuras
by on Jun. 2, 2011 at 12:04 PM

You're all making me hungry! I'm going to go have a slice of watermelon RIGHT NOW.

KamiB79
by on Jun. 2, 2011 at 12:11 PM
Grilled burgers, corn on the cob, pasta salad, and sweet tea!
Leelee1008
by Alicia on Jun. 2, 2011 at 2:35 PM

steak and potatos on the grill do it for me. YUM

sweetpea1269
by on Jun. 2, 2011 at 2:37 PM
Anything on the grill
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. proudmommy690
  2. cemcnair
  3. melliburger
  4. ScrChk23
  5. Ladyisis
  6. momofsixangels